We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helpfull phrases.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
580 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Helpfull phrases.

Prior to a recent trip to Rome I posted the following suggestion in the Rome Forum and it proved to be very popular.

Us english folks are often accused of travelling abroad and expecting everybody else to speak english or to believe that talking v e r y s l o w l y or SHOUTING will help us be understood. I have to admit I have often heard "one-o coffee-o and one-o beer-o purvafooro Garson" in many countries, even the USA!

I prefer to make an effort when travelling in all aspects, including food and language. Granted I may not always have got it right, but I have noticed people appreciate my trying.

So, can anyone provide some phrases for my trip to Norway next weekend. If so, here are some suggestions for transalation;

Hello/Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening.

How are you?

Please can I have a coffee/tea/beer/menu?

Can I have the bill please?

How much is that?

How much! For ONE beer! Can I have a loan application form please? (Sorry, my humour. I've heard Oslo is very expensive)

Thank you very much.

Goodbye/See you soon/Good Evening, Goodnight.

And any other phrases you may feel will be helpful.

And for single guys such as myself;

Do you come here often? (It's the best chat up line I have, hence me being single!)

My dodgy sense of humour to one side, I hope that somebody, maybe a Local Expert, can help with this.

Many thanks.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helpfull phrases.

Hi

Almost every Norwegian know English so you shouldn't have a problem. But if you want to learn some phrases you should visit http://www.travlang.com/languages/ :-)

Regards

Gard

Norway
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Helpfull phrases.

I am sorry this is coming too late, hope you had a fun time anyway.

I will translate, you never know who might find it useful.

Hello/Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening.

Hei/ God morgen, god kveld, godnatt.

How are you?

Hvordan har du det?

Please can I have a coffee/tea/beer/menu?

Unnskyld, kan jeg få en kaffe/ te/ øl/ meny?

Can I have the bill please?

Kan jeg få regningen?

How much is that?

Hvor mye koster det?

How much! For ONE beer! Can I have a loan application form please? (Sorry, my humour. I've heard Oslo is very expensive)

Dæggern! For EN øl??? Hvor signerer jeg lånesøknaden?

Thank you very much.

Tusen takk.

Goodbye/See you soon/Good Evening, Goodnight.

Hadet/ ser deg senere/ godkveld/ godnatt.

And any other phrases you may feel will be helpful.

And for single guys such as myself;

Do you come here often? (It's the best chat up line I have, hence me being single!)

Kommer du hit ofte?

Or maybe this one could be used, on a trip;

How lucky that you were here just tonight!

Så heldig at du var her akkurat i dag!

You would prolly be luckier speaking your language/accent. We kinda like that. ;)