We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London
Level Contributor
138 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

I am booking a return flight from London to Oslo. The cheapest one I found is Ryan Air and the second cheapest is Norwegian Air (difference is about £10). I've never used Norwegian Air and wonder if anyone have the experience and can tell me what's it like. If flying with Norwegian Air is more comfortable than Ryan Air, I wouldn't mind spending £10 more (although I don't know if they also have any hidden charges).

Another potential good point of Norwegian Air is that they fly to the main Oslo airport, rather than Torp (or the other one?). However, time is not really an issue for me on this occasion. As long as the transit to city centre is smooth, I don't mind taking a bit longer...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

The main airport, Gardermoen (OSL), is located some 65 kms north of Oslo. There is an express train service (Flytoget - appr. 20 mins); ordinary trains (appr. 45 mins) and bus connections (appr. 45 mins) for Oslo city.

http://www.osl.no/en/osl

Ryanair fly to Torp (Sandefjord Lufthavn Torp - some 130 kms south of Oslo on the western side of the Oslofjord) and Rygge (Moss Lufthavn Rygge - some 70 kms south of Oslo on the eastern side of the fjord) respectively.

Torp

www.torp.no/Default.aspx…

Transport from Torp

torpekspressen.no/Englishinformation/tabid/1…

Rygge

http://www.en.ryg.no/

Transport from Rygge

rygge-ekspressen.no/EnglishInformation/tabid…

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
953 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

have you taken fees info consideration ? On N you may buy beverages and light snacks, do not know about R. I believe N has more leg space, not sure. Cheapest transport into Oslo would be ordinary train from Gardermoen.

Oslo
Level Contributor
360 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

Norwegian Air Shuttle is also a budget airline company (but not extreme low budget as Ryanair) so don't expect the very best service - anyway you don't have to do everything on your own (you could check in at the airport) with Norwegian. Norwegian will charge you extra for sent luggage (but not as much as Ryanair), and no hidden charges. Norwegian is by the way one of the fastest growing airport companies in Europe.

Oslo
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

I think Norwegian will be cheaper if you take transport to the city centre into consideration.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

Norwegian and Ryanair is quite similar, both charge you for almost everything, although I think Ryanair charges more for hold luggage. Comfort wise, the difference is negligible. Norwegian has some brand new planes, but also some older ones (all are well maintained Boeing 737, so this isn't a safety issue.) The seat pitch is more or less the same on both carriers. Norwegian has been more prone to small delays lately, but if the s*** really hits the fan (cancelled flight etc.), Norwegian will take better care of you. Ryanair will probably just let you sort out accomondation etc. and that might not be that easy if you fly out from Torp airport.

If the price is more or less the same, I would have choosen Norwegian since Torp is is about 130 km from Oslo and Gardermoen is only 60 km (and has a train station in the basement).

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

I've just returned from Norway. I flew to Haugesund on the West coast with Ryan Air and then over to Oslo, up to Tromso and back to Gatwick with Norwegian Air. All the flights were fine and on time (give or take 10 minutes). The main difference is that the baggage allowance on Norwegian Air is slightly higher (20 kg) than Ryan Air (15kg) - if that is important to you.

I also found Norwegian Air's check in process incredibly efficient. You take the ticket that you printed at home to the airport, scan it in a machine yourself and it prints out your boarding pass and luggage label. You then take your bag to a drop off point. I found this to be much quicker than standing in line to check in. You also get an allocated seat - therefore avoiding the Ryan Air scrum that sometimes ensues. No food was included in any of the flights, but you could buy on board if you wish. I also like the fact that Norwegian Air don't have annoying advertisements playing all the time during the flight.

None of Oslo's airports are very close to the centre. I landed in Gardermoen which is about 60km away. I took the Airport Express bus as it stopped near to my hostel, and that cost 160 kr (about £16) one way. The train may be cheaper - but it depends where you're staying. The Norwegian coaches are clean and punctual and were running even in the snowy, icy conditions (i.e. not like here in the UK).

Hope you enjoy your trip. I thought that Oslo was great.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 10:11
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. The price I paid with Norwegian Air was the total price - no charges for paying by credit card or for checking baggage etc. The Ryan Air flight was fine, but I get annoyed when they advertise a ticket price and then add taxes etc on top.

8. Re: Norwegian Air vs Ryan Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 05:16