We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress codes

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Manchester
6 posts
Save Topic
Dress codes

I will be in Oslo at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the dress code is for the pubs/bars/clubs.

Do they allow trainers or should I pack a pair of shoes?

Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
17 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress codes

Usually there is no dress code at pubs/bars, but clubs are usually different. I know that sneakers and similar is not accepted at certain clubs. That depens on what kinsds of place you're going to. I think there is only a few clubs that has strict dress codes in Oslo, but I'm not sure.

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress codes

Norwegians are probably the least elegantly dressed people in the world, possibly second only to the USAans. This is reflected in the bar and club scene: Very few have a dress code. They'll let you in in almost anything.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,823 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress codes

Some (very few) clubs do not allow sneakers (or use it as an excuse), these are not my favorites anyway.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress codes

It all depends on which kinds of places you go to, the more fancy clubs etc won't let you in with trainers. Jeans and a shirt or similar will suffice for most of the more fancy clubs though, and at most pubs you can wear almost anything.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress codes

I'll be in Oslo next week and was wondering what to pack. What do women usually where? Don't they dress up more?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress codes

Women (and men) in Oslo and Norway dress in all styles ranging from casual to formal, but the trend is towards more casual. You may safely pack and wear whatever you feel most comfortable in!

La Mirada...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress codes

We will be traveling with a tour group in all of Norway and our tour director advised us against wearing jeans. I would think that good jeans are pretty universal but we don't want to offend the people of Norway by being too casual.

I would appreciate any guidelines that you can offer.

Thanks,

GS

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress codes

I only wear a suit in funerals and weddings. Even in quite high level business meetings, jeans are ok in Norway.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress codes

Norwegians dress themselves pretty casual, and I don't think many (if any) would get offended by seeing tourists wearing jeans. Even at most workplaces, the dress code is more smart-casual than formal.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress codes

gshiner41 wrote:

"We will be traveling with a tour group in all of Norway and our tour director advised us against wearing jeans"

Which tour director says that..?

For a normal walk in the street, I think jeans is the most normal trousers we use in Norway..;) But for a walk in the mountains, that should be Not permitted to use!