We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

We are planning to arrive in Oslo end of Sept/beginning Oct, leave our camper van there & catch the train to Bergen - How far ahead do we need to book the train from Oslov to Bergen? Can we do it easily on-line?

We then want to get a cruise (probably Hurtigruten line) from Bergen to Tromsø. - How far ahead do we need to book a cruise from Bergen to Tromsø and best place to book, e.g. online direct with Hurtigruten cruises, or online at the ‘Visit Norway’ website, or in person at the port or other)?

We want to see Northern Lights in Tromsø - Which is the best Northern Lights trips out of Tromsø, and low long we might need to stay in Tromsø to catch the lights when we are there in late Sept/Oct?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,741 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

Trains are best booked 3 months (90 days) in advance for the best fares (Minipris). This is done online at www.nsb.no

Hurtigruten often has offers going, but these tend to be for the whole jorney to/from Kirkenes/Bergen or a round-trip. I'd just book now if you know your dates - book at www.hurtigruten.com

4-5 days would be advisable to give yourself the best chances to see the lights. Several good guides in Tromso, you can find them on the Visit Tromso website (www.visittromso.no). One of the most popular is Guide Gunnar (www.guide-gunnar.no) - he's also a regular on this forum and will probably pop in an give some advice as well. He's got a booking calendar on his website so you can see if it starts filling up for the dates you want.

Many people wait until they get close to their dates as they'd like to check the weather reports before booking. This might result in havin gto make due with tours made in big buses (tours that tend to be less personal and flexible as the guides have to take care of 50 guests instead of 10-20).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

The train tickets go on sale 90 days prior to depature. If you are able to get hold on the discounted minipris tickets, booking as early as possible is recommended and needs to be booked with www.nsb.no. However,this site does not work with all foreign credit cards. If your card does not work, I suggest you book with RailEurope or simply book when you have arrived in Norway or Sweden or whereever you are going. For full fare tickets it is not necessary to book months in advance. You may also be able to find minipris tickets at short notice, but they must be booked at least one day ahead.

For Hurtigruten I think I would book directly with them or through your travel agent back home. Sometimes they run campaigns/special offers for autumn voyages and these do get booked up. I suggest you study their web-site closely, then search the forum for more info or simply come back to the forum with the questions you may have.

The Tromsø guides recommend 5 days to maximise your chances of seeing the NL. You are also early in the season and if the aurora decide on early display one evening, it will simply not be dark enough. For finding the best, I suggest you look up the reviews here on TA. Those taking smaller groups do get booked up.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

As a supplement to WT - I have seen special offers for shorter voyages like Bergen to Tromsø.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

Many thanks for all your help. Great & useful advice & we are looking forward to this part of our trip.

5. Re: Oslo, Bergen to Tromso

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 06:17