We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
qii
Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Hello all,

I will be going to Oslo from Kirkenes on 2 jan till 4 jan. Will have 1.5 days free in Oslo. Have not worked out the itinery except booked the hotel in Oslo.

Anyone care to give me suggestion of some must go places and must do activities in Oslo or day trip from Oslo ?

It's my first trip to Norway. My trip starts from tromso for 2 days then onboard the hurtigen ship ends at Kirkenes and I will be flying directly from Kirkenes.

Appreciate any kind recommendation... I'm getting a little panic here as not much times left for me to do more research ...

Thanks in advance!

Angie

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

1.5 days is barely sufficient to see the most important sights and attractions in Oslo, I would not consider any day trip out of town. Overview of attractions here: visitoslo.com/en/…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Agree with iverh: You should definitely spend such short time in Oslo. You must make a selection of what is the most important to you: Museums? Architecture? Night-life? ...? 1.5 day is barely enough to even scratch the surface of the city

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

The only thing that is a MUST when visiting Oslo, is imho too walk on the street Karl Johans Gate. Why is it a must?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Johans_gate

Well in that street you have both the royal castle and the parliament. It is the parade street of Oslo. And... it's completely free!

In the map below, Karl Johans Gate is the street that goes from the big green area, the park of the Royal Castle, and the red A. Technically, it continues as a street down to the railway station, but only the part between the parliament and the castle is a MUST imho. The part towards the railway station is car free, so there are many street artists there, but it's not a MUST.

https://maps.google.no/maps?q=karl+johans+gate&ie=UTF-8&ei=bqljUrbgH4uN4wSbtYCYCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Edited: 20 October 2013, 11:10
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

What to see and do is highly individual. A must do for some is best avoided for others. Look up the official tourist web site and choose according to your interests. The site is very well laid out and easy to navigate, there is even a top 10 list .....

qii
Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Hihi

What do you think of the below arrangement:

2jan: arrived Oslo 1335hrs- check in hotel - vigeland/explore Karl Johans gate / noble peace prize house (depend on location of hotel n attraction yet to find out)

3jan: join Fjord tour Norway in a nutshell (Oslo - Bergen round trip) back next day 6:27am to catch flight depart at 1055hrs

Questions:

1) is this too rush?

2) is the fjord tour worth to do in winter with short day light?

Thanks to advise! :)

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,975 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Yes it's probably a bit rushed and as it gets dark by 15:30 most of the boat journey from Flåm to Gudvangen and the travel to Bergen will be in the dark. I assume you mean to take the night train back from Bergen, arriving Oslo in the early morning. I would also be concerned about the possibility of delays causing you to miss your flight - it's not unknown for the railway to be blocked by avalanche - even though this is quite infrequent. Read #1 and #2.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 17:54
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Oslo is January is exotic, though not the best time to visit. However, here is my suggestions for you 36 hours:

- - 2nd January -afternoon: Walk at Karl Johan, look at the Castle, walk down to the City hall and out to Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen. Continue back to Karl johan and walk down to the opera building, This walk will take you around three if you take time to look around.

-3rd January. Start by taking the bus to visit the Viking ship museum, a world attraction. Then take the bus and change for a subway to visit the Munch museum. A day pass for public transportation will not rip you off. If you have time left visit Akershus festning, which is very beautiful and have some interesting museums.

Hope you'll enjoy your trip!

Erik T

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,960 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Look up these to get an idea of attractions to make your choices:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190479-s409/Oslo:N…

http://www.visitoslo.com/

qii
Singapore
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

Thanks a million Erik!!! Will probably go with your suggestion. Tks!

Is Nordmarka worth going too? Like sight seeing but seems to be a long walk...would it be too cold to walk? And the short day light a concern?

Thanks again!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,093 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested attraction/itinery in Oslo in dec

In winter Nordmarka is normally for cross country skiing.