We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

My mother and I are planning a ~2 week trip to Scandinavia 3/31/14. We would like to visit Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and Bergen and do the Flam-Myrdal fjord trip (Norway in the Nutshell). We can fly in or out of either Oslo, Stockholm or Copenhagen (unfortunately not Bergen - mom won a contest giving her airfare and 3 hotel nights), and I'd hate to waste unnecessary time and money back-tracking. I've learned that Tivoli Gardens doesn't open until 4/10/14 (we are not traveling with kids and well past the Amusement Park age or enthusiasm) and that trains between Oslo and Stockholm are very slow and unreliable. I would highly appreciate any suggestions on the best itinerary (which cities to visit, in which order, how many days, must-see sights), where to fly into and where to fly out of, and best way to travel between the cities (train, flight, ferry) and recommended hotels that are well-situated but (hopefully) won't break the bank (I know Scandinavia can be pricey and Mom's not the hostel type; lol) (we do have Hilton and Marriott points we can use). Thanks

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

How come trains between Stockholm and Oslo are slow and unreliable? Biggest problem with the train is that there are only two daily departures, timewise it's 1-2 hours longer than flying (when you count time to get to/from airport, time at airport before flight and waiting for luggage and changing between the different modes of transport).

There are next to no delays or cancellations on this route.

Fly into Copenhagen, take the overnight ferry (www.dfdsseaways.com) to Oslo, train to Myrdal-Flam (www.nsb.no - should have booked 90 days in advance for best selection of discounted tickets) and then onto Bergen, fly to Stockholm (www.flysas.com or www.norwegian.com) and then train to Copenhagen (www.sj.se - book as soon as possible as discounted ticket were released 90 days in advance).

Not much more time to visit anywhere else in just 2 weeks and you want to do the 4 towns mentioned.

Use reviews on TA for accomodations and hotels webpages for booking. Many chains in Scandinavia (esp. Norway) are not available on 3rd party booking sites like booking.com, hotels.com etc.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Useful links:

http://www.visitoslo.com

www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/ (Whisky's recommended route Oslo-Bergen is on public transport and you can save by booking minipris tickets on the rail journey Oslo-Flåm as suggested, and then paying as you go)

http://www.visitbergen.com

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Thank you so much for your advice. I think unpredictable might have been a better choice of words than unreliable, as I've heard that the rail lines between Oslo and Stockholm may intermittently be down for repairs and that you may instead be transferred to a bus instead which would add additional travel time to an already cramped itinerary.

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Dyoll-Thank you so much for your advice. What is a "minipris" ticket; is this something that requires an advance purchase and where would I purchase them from?

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Is it equally as scenic to do the "Norway in the Nutshell" tour (Flam Myrdal line with Fjord boat ride) from the Bergen to Oslo direction? Also, can you do the overnight train from the Oslo to Copenhagen direction?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

Yes, advance purchase, valid only for booked train, not changeable. you'll be offered the price if available when booking the train https://www.nsb.no/en/

As with all railways work on the lines is necessary sometimes and is usually planned at weekends and of course there are occasional breakdowns - since most of Norway's 'network' is single line then perhaps this has a greater impact than in most countries, but I wouldn't think this was often enough to be a consideration in your travel plans. Planned work that will affect a train is highlighted in the booking process.

We don't have any high speed trains either!

PS: best to write dates on the forum in full or in international format - 4/10/14 is 4th October here.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,383 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

PPS - Tivoli will be open on your return to Copenhagen and is much more than roller-coasters - well worth a visit for restaurants and other entertainments. http://www.tivoli.dk/en/

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

I'm thinking we might fly into Stockholm (see the Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan, Drottingholm Palace, boat ride to the Archipelago islands), then fly to Bergen (see the Bryggen Wharf, Fish and Flower Market, do the Funnicular to Mt. Floyen)( possibly Edvard Grieg's house Trolhaugen), do the reverse Norway in the Nutshell starting in Bergen and ending in Oslo (see the Vigeland Sculpture Park, National Gallery, Norwegian Folk Museum, Viking Ship Museum)( possibly Fram Polar Ship and Kon Tiki Museums, Norwegian Opera House, Munch Museum and Askerhus Fortress), travel by overnight train to Copenhagen (see Little Mermaid, Tivoli Gardens, Nyhavn Harbor, Rosenborg Castle, Ny Carlsberg Glyptoteket, Stroget, daytrip to Frederiksborg Castle and Gardens)( possibly Amalienborg Royal Palace, Kronborg Castle and nearby new Maritime Museum, Nationalmuseet, Lousiana Modern Art Museum, Christianborg Slot, Roskilde) and fly home from Copenhagen. I would highly appreciate any comments on which of the "possibly" sights or others not listed that you feel are "must-see" sights, as well as any comments on the feasibility of this itinerary.

9. Re: Need advice for 2wks April-Copenhagen,Bergen,Oslo&Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:21