We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with ginormous parking penalty

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help with ginormous parking penalty

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. We're in Lillestrom and obviously chose the wrong parking billett at a Q-Park lot. We came back to a yellow ticket that looks like we owe an astounding 760kr fine. (Seriously? In Lillestrom?)

I tried to find a way to pay the penalty online, but no luck. Since it's an Avis rental car and they have my license number, will the fine just be waiting for me at the rental return desk? The ticket says I have 14 days to pay, and we'll return the car in 11 days.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has advice on this and any other tips on parking in and near Oslo.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,992 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

Normally car rental companies will add fines and penalties to your bill, they have your card details. NOK 750 is a normal parking penalty.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

Go online with your bank and pay it. If not Avis will pay it for you and deduct the fine and a hefty admin fee on top.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

I don't know if the others are speaking from personal experience but I'm not sure if the rental company will automatically pay a penalty charge from a privately owned car park, as they would if it was toll charges. In the UK it is the driver who is liable to a penalty charge like this one, not the registered keeper of the vehicle.

I would ask the advice of the rental company when you return the vehicle and then pay it direct if it avoids their admin. charge.

If you have reason to contest the charge you can appeal against it. I did this successfully once without any problem, but there were very good and easily provable reasons for contesting it.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,786 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

The problem you have with paying I suspect is that you have a Norwegian bank account number to pay into, which might not be so easy from a US bank account. You could go into a bank and pay manually. It will cost a service fee, but probably less than transferring the money from a US bank account.

But yes, check first with the car hire co. These 'fines' increase if not paid within a time limit. It will already have increased by the time it gets to the car hire co. and they will also doubtless want a service fee to pay it for you, which is their easiest way out for them since they can charge your credit card. There is a chance though that since it is a private fine they will just forward your name and address to the parking co. - in which case I doubt that the parking co. would pursue it through the courts in US.

NOK 760 is at the bottom end of the scale for these private parking 'fines', whatever town you may be in. You are certainly not the only one to be irritated by these ridiculous charges.

Please let us know how it goes for future advice.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

The practice of the private parking companies like Q-park is highly controversial. Since they regulate the use of private property, they can make their own rules (including "fines"). If you believe you did not break any of their rules, you can of course appeal.

Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

Thanks to all. I've tried several times to pay the fine on the Q-park website. There are portals for lodging a complaint, but nothing to pay that I can see. I can imagine this is controversial here. I'm a newspaper editor, and I would love to have a chance to delve into a story about a company like this at home. I get fines, even if it's for mistakes or stupidity, but clearly, this company is soaking the community. I was outside Lillestrom, hardly a Mecca for easy tourist dollars. People being whacked with this are locals. I'll lodge a complaint and see what happens. I asked for help in printing out a billet from someone standing next to me and got far less time than I intended and didn't even know it. I'll let you know what happens either way Thanks again to all.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,992 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

If you exceeded the time you had paid for, the fine is justified and filing a complaint would be a waste of time. Making a mistake is not really an excuse - we all have to pay for our mistakes - in this case literally.

I do not know about Lillestrøm, but in Bergen we have separate company of parking wardens issuing and collecting parking tickets. Is Q-park the receipient of the fine ? Paying online you need their international banking number (IBAN), this is probably not on the ticket and you need to contact the account department of the receipient - the number is a long one so best have it in writing.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

In Norway, virtually all payments are done via bank accounts, that is probably won't find a payment option on their website.

Bergen, Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

I know this is an old thread but does anybody know the legality of a parking "fine" issued by a private parking company in Norway?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,827 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with ginormous parking penalty

They are legal although the size of the fines are controversial. When you use a private car park you accept the conditions (like a contract) including fines. These companies can not however use the government to enforce fines, they have to use the courts.