We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time through customs

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Time through customs

Hi all-

I'm a U.S. citizen flying into Oslo from Copenhagen. How much time should I allow for baggage retrieval and customs? My plane lands at 9:30 and I'm hoping to catch an 11:00 train that leaves from the airport to Oslo central. Thanks!

(apologies if this is a double post, I posted earlier but it never appeared)

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time through customs

Impossible to say exactly - but no problem catching the 11:03 train if you mean the local train. There is no passport control if you are coming from Copenhagen so main delay is waiting for baggage. Customs is just a walkthrough unless you are stopped for random controll. I would guess about 30 - 40 mins from landing at that time of day, but I have known it take up to an hour. You have a good chance of catching earlier trains at 10:03 and 10:43 so don't book - unnecessary as this is outside usual commuting times. Buy your ticket at the Public Transport desk on way to station - easier than battling with NSB machines. If running to catch a train you can pay on the train for a fee of NOK 40. Note that the ticket is good for transfer to buses, trams etc in Oslo for 2 1/2 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time through customs

thank you! i'm hoping to catch a local train, the one that continues to bergen (NIN).

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time through customs

There is no local train that continues to Bergen - you need to change at Oslo S.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time through customs

Perhaps the OP is confusing Oslo S = Oslo Central Station (downtown) with Oslo Lufthavn = Oslo Airport?

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo Central Station
Oslo Central Station
265 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
Oslo Airport
Oslo Airport
Gardermoen, Norway
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time through customs

There is a connection 11:03 at OSL, connects with 12:01 at Oslo S to Bergen and you can save NOK 90 by booking a minipris ticket OSL - Bergen (or Flåm? - change at Myrdal arrives Flåm 18:10). Arriving at OSL 09:30 should be pretty safe - but occasionally flights are delayed etc. and you risk losing your train ticket as minipris is not changeable. Pick up pre-booked ticket at the OSL station.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time through customs

My goal is to catch the Olso-Bergen train that departs Oslo S at 12:01. We will take the 11:03 local (R10) from the airport and change at Oslo S.

Thanks all!

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
7. Re: Time through customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16