We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the airport

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Northampton...
Level Contributor
172 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the airport

Simple question... Will be landing in Oslo via SAS. Will need to take a train from the airport to Oslo Central Station (staying at the Clarion Folkteateret). What am I looking for when exiting the airport in order to find the train in the easiest manner? Flytoget? Local Train?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,301 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the airport

It is well sighposted. Local trains and Flytoget leave from the same station - it is not really possible to make mistakes or get lost.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,348 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the airport

Note that the local train costs about half as much and takes only a few minutes longer, but is not as frequent. Your hotel is a short walk from the central station, Oslo S. There is no nearer bus/tram stop.

If you decide to take Flytoget there is a ticket machine in the baggage hall, or just swipe a credit card at the gate (you will need separate credit cards or each passenger in this case). If you take the local train I suggest you try the Public Transport desk just after customs exit for tickets - easier than battling with NSB machines.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
54 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the airport

Local train - is there a surcharge to buy the tickets at the Public Transport desk? I know the NSB machines have a NOK 40 surcharge.

Flytoget - is there a surcharge to either swipe at the gate or ticket machine?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,301 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the airport

There is a surcharge on public transport if you buy the ticket onboard the train/bus but not from the machines.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,348 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the airport

No surcharge at Public Transport desk or NSB machines, but I think there is a surcharge if you buy from NSB ticket office. If you are running late to catch a train you might think it worth the NOK 40 surcharge to buy on the local train instead of waiting 20 - 40 mins for the next train.

The NSB ticket machines are a pain - first you have to get a free travel card from ticket office then put this in the machine and decide what type of ticket, and then departure and destination and then pay - possible queues for ticket office and machine - not recommended if you are racing to catch a train. I hope you'll find the Public Transport desk is a much easier option. It's just after you exit through customs in the direction of the railway.

6. Re: Leaving the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16