We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo to Tromso by car in August

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Hi,

I am travelling to Norway during August for 10 days. and would like to drive from Oslo to Tromso and stop by in between in some cities.

Is this recommended? and which cities I may stop by in between.

Google says it is 1600KM and in the forums some mentioned it is 2000KM.

My plan is to explore the country by car until I reach Tromso and then leave the car there and fly back to Oslo.

Regards,

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

If you have ten days to spend in Norway, I would not use three of them driving long distances.The legs Oslo-Trondheim and Trondheim-Bodø are both rather boring if you follow E6. You would have a more rewarding trip if you fly between destinations and rent cars locally.

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Thank you for your advice. Then I can fly from Oslo to Tromso for two days and back to Oslo again. However, Where I can go from Oslo for the other days by car. Can you suggest some cities that I can stay at.

Regards,

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

If you have 10 days you can drive Oslo-Tromsø and explore on the way. But you need to leave the main roads and take your time. And you need to be prepared for a hefty oneway charge on the car rental.

I would not fly to Tromsø for only two days. If you go up north, I would suggest you rent a car and explore this part of Norway, perhaps drive down to Lofoten over the islands and back to Tromsø.

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Thank you for the advice. This is another option. I explore Norway from Oslo to Trosmo. I am going to Tromso mainly to attend the chess Olympiad. However I want to explore Norway at the same time.

I have no problem taking six days to reach Tromso and staying in some cities in between. Any suggestion where to stay.

I hope the roads are good all the way.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

I think you need to do some research on driving in Norway and Norway in general. If you only want to visit the cities, Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim are interesting for tourists. Outside the cities, nature is the main attractions.

There are hardly any highways, not even the main roads. There are mountain passes and ferry crossings. Scenic roads are even slower.

visitnorway.com/us/…

More info if you go to the Norway main forum and seek out the top questions.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 07:06
B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
259 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

What about flying to Bergen (directly from abroad or through Oslo), rent a car in Bergen and drive the west coast (most scenic parts with fjords & mountains) up to Trondheim. Then fly to Tromso from Trondheim?

Other option is same as above but doing the scenic train ride Oslo-Bergen over the mountains in addition.

With this trip you will cover the most scenic parts of Norway only missing Lofoten west of Bodø (between Trondheim and Tromsø).

Other added option further north:

If you want I can also recommend going on Hurtigruten from Bodø through Lofoten as a day trip passenger without cabin. If you have the money to spend for a cabin (quite expensive) by all means do that (then I recommend Bodø->Tromsø), but you can do day-trips on Hurtigruten without cabin for a much smaller fee. The views on Hurtigruten through Lofoten are amazing. BTW: Hurtigruten also goes up west coast from Bergen but would cost even more and I'm unsure about amount of days needed for whole trip.

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Dear klimaflyktning , thank you for your reply. I am looking for nature and scenic attractions. I understood that I have to plan the trip in away to make it to Tromso on time . However deriving all the way might not be a good idea. mixture of plane, car and train should be considered.

Dubai
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Dear B H, thank you for your reply. Can I use the train from Oslo to Bregen then drive to Trondheim, and then then fly to Tromso, or drive all t he way from Bregen to Tromso.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
259 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

Don't underestimate the length and geography of Norway (curvy small roads, mountains, fjords, tunnels, ferrie-only transport legs etc). I would assume driving the whole way would be quite a challenge, but I'll let others comment on that. Train Oslo-Bergen would give you a wonderful scenic trip over the mountains. Then driving Bergen -> Trondheim would cover the fjords and mountains in the most scenic part of Norway (leaving out only Lofoten which is higher up north). During the drive Bergen -> Trondheim you can try to cover places like:

Flåm (if time take the scenic old train Flåm-Myrdal-Flåm) https:/…

Geiranger http://www.geiranger.no/

Ålesund visitnorway.com/no/…

Atlanterhavsveien visitnorway.com/en/…

If you drive in a straight line Oslo->Trondheim you will miss the fjord/mountain landscape of the west which most people prefer. You will see mountains still though but in my mind will not be the same.

If you can fit in Lofoten (longer up north west of city Bodø) then please do so. It's absolutely fantastic. Depending on money you can spend I recommend day-trips on Hurtigruten /Bodø->Stokmarknes...visting Trollfjorden. I can also recommend places like Reine in Lofoten and stay over at one of their "over-water-bungalows" (sort of) called rorbu (old fishermens cabins/storage on the seashore). telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/n…

Edited: 16 July 2014, 13:35
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,517 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oslo to Tromso by car in August

There are many options using public transport too. Train Oslo-Bergen is recommended - or you can do Norway in a Nutshell via Flåm.

You can take Hurtigruten cruise ferry from Bergen to Geiranger, continue by bus and train through scenic roads and via scenic railway Åndalsnes-Dombås, then continue to Trondheim by train and maybe visit the city. Continue by train to Bodø and take the ferry to Lofoten. Now rent a car and explore the islands and continue to Tromsø.