We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIN route DIY & other help needed

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
NIN route DIY & other help needed

So I just started researching this route and can't seem to find where to book the tickets on the NSB site.. it looks like it goes direct from Oslo to Bergen and not the NIN route that Fjord tours sells at a higher price. ( I'd like to select mini pris as I have read is a better deal )

Also are Komfort seats available ?

My dates are flexible and am looking to try to avoid the hoards of cruisers and groups that are mentioned in the reviews. (herded cattle)

Is one time of the day better? route one way or the other?

By staying in Flam we could take the first ferry out and perhaps not be so crowded?

Looking at 2 days in Oslo.. then the NIN route to Flam and staying overnight 1-2 days to do a Fjord & glacier tour.

Continue on ferry to Gudvangen then to Voss & Bergen- 1-2 nights then back to Oslo for flight home.

thanks for any feedback. ...

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

There should not be any issues with booking Oslo-Flåm on the NSB site.

Is there a fjord & glacier tour from Flåm ?

Edited: 24 July 2014, 06:17
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

Check cruise ship arrivals at aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2014/

If you want to avoid crowds travel in September.

Book NSB Oslo-Flåm at https://www.nsb.no/en/frontpage

There are not many ferry departures. If there are cruise ships in port then morning ferry departures will be crowded, choose a late afternoon departure.

Do you really want to stay 2 nights in Flåm? What about Balestrand - gets good reviews on the Forum.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 09:21
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

Thanks for your replies... I was thinking next July to travel. isn't this better than September ? in terms of what is running and available and weather?

I always plan ahead..

Since our trip from Oslo to Flam would be around 6 hours I thought Flam would be a good place to stay then relax the next day with this fjord and glacier tour.

…visitflam.com/en/…showdetails

We then would relax again after this tour and head out to Bergen the next day.

I want to avoid the cruisers ( as I had originally planned to come via cruise ) haha

ok I see the mistake I was doing with the train I was booking Oslo-Bergen instead of Flam.. gotcha.

Traveling with luggage is going to be a pain for us senior citizens.

So I can select Komfort seats then for the 6 hour train ride.. good.

Trying to book 2 nites rather than just one for relaxing and getting to just walk around the town, same with Bergen..

Edited: 24 July 2014, 15:35
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

There is already a ship arrivals list for 2015 but it is early days and there may be changes. Not many gap days in July. The good thing is that the ships leave in the afternoon and if you head off to Fjærland for the day you will not notice. In peak seaon like July you will have to expect plenty of passengers on the NiN whatever time of day you travel. The Flåm Railway is the real bottleneck and does not calm down until around 17:00 hrs on days with cruise ships in.

aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2015/

Luggage is not a big issue on the trains, there is plenty of room. I suggest you try to travel light and perhaps take some accomodation with washing and drying facilities on the way - an apartment in Bergen for example.

Sorry, I overlooked the boat trip to Fjærland - it is new this year. Hopefully it will still be on in 2015.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

Would it be better then for me to travel via from Oslo to Bergen first and work around the dates there are no ships there and go to Flam and then the ferry up and then bus back to Bergen?

I really don't want the hassle of taking the luggage while sightseeing.

We have to pack for all seasons so I doubt it will be just with a carry on.

Stay in Bergen 2-3 nights?

I have points for the Clarion Collection Hotel Torgalmeningen, so lodging is not a problem.

Isn't there a faster train to Bergen from Oslo?

Edited: 25 July 2014, 15:53
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,784 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

Better or not depends on you - it will be difficult to find a day without cruise ships in July.

There is no faster train, but you could take the overnight sleeper thereby saving a day and saving a hotel night. You won't miss much as otherwise there would be backtracking.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,986 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

The faster train is called a plane ;) The train is scenic - it is part of the sightseeing.

If you do the NiN in one single day from Oslo to Bergen, you can send the luggage ahead to your hotel.

8. Re: NIN route DIY & other help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:16