We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

We will be flying Oslo to Trondheim on Wednesday morning at 10:05 A.M. How much time beforehand should we plan to arrive at the airport for this domestic flight?

By the way, we took the train in from the airport for 90 NOK each, and it was very convenient. We purchased our train tickets back to the airport on Wednesday today with the great help of the people in red shirts and IPads. We can use any train that day except the express trains. The showed us the departure times, and they look convenient as well back to the airport.

Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

You should be at the airport 1h before scheduled departure for domestic flights.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,572 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

Assuming you have a non-transferable ticket then I would leave in plenty of time for the airport. Usually I am through the check-in and security in 10 mins, but occasionally there is a problem and it can take much longer. It depends on whether you check in by machine or manually and which gate you depart from - some are quite a distance from entrance - you should be at the gate 20-30 mins before departure. I would aim for the 07:54 from Oslo S as the next train at 08:34 would get you to the airport with only an hour for check-in etc and I think that doesn't give you any leeway for problems.

Note also that there are railway works on another line causing large queues at Oslo S - it shouldn't affect your journey though. If there are any problems then you have the airport express as your backup solution.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

I certainly wouldn't cut it as fine as 1 hour before departure, I would leave at least 2 hours but may be more, especially if you have to get to the airport on public transport. An hour leaves you no extra time for any delays. Much better to have an hour extra at the airport than cutting it fine and miss it. If you miss your flight your ticket will be cancelled and you will need to buy a new ticket.

Whenever I have travelled through the airport the queue for security have been very long.

At the end of the day it all depends how you view risk. For me I don't like risk.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

The 7:54 train as mentioned by dyoll is the train I would catch for your flight.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

Thanks! We'll go with the 7:54 train.

6. Re: How Much Time for Domestic Flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16