We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
19 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

Here are a few tips to add from our trip the first week of August 2014.

We enjoyed Norway in general, but without planning, we would have enjoyed it way less. The cost of most everything was outrageous compared even to being in the UK, where we were the first week of our trip. Feeling that most everything is too expensive to enjoy felt oppressive after a week. I am not a cruise enthusiast, but I can see why people visit Norway on a cruise boat or just do the Nutshell in a day from Oslo. If you are from the Pacific Northwest, it will feel very similar to home. If I was doing this again I would do the Norway in a Nutshell, then visit Sweden as, amazing as it sounds, the cost is much more reasonable,

Norway is incredibly expensive for everything - if you are using the USD. Be prepared not to eat out - even an ice cream cone is $5 USD, hamburger with no fries about $20. Get breakfast at your hotel - it is likely the nicest affordable meal you will get while on vacation in Norway,

Oslo hotels do not have air conditioning, and almost no ventilation. Hotel windows may not open more than a few inches. If it is nice outside you will likely be frying inside of museums and your hotel, so be prepared.

Bring an umbrella for frequent but passing rain storms. We had to buy one and it cost $28 but was worth every penny to enjoy the folk museum which is mostly outside.

Bring food with you like granola bars, etc, to keep you going. We brought almond butter, Starbucks Via coffee packets, crackers, trail mix and granola bars. We also brought a small insulated flask that we filled with hot water. Renting a car for travel outside of Oslo was a good value with two of us.

The Oslo Pass worked really well for us, although some of the museums on it are not very interesting or are free anyway. If you stay downtown you will be walking distance from most everything. During our visit the trams and trains were having trouble due to the heat so the pass may or may not help with the transportation cost.

If you are planning to stay anywhere besides a hotel, and particularly outside of Oslo, bring twin sheets to save money. This saved us about $30 per night. Also note, doing laundry is expensive. In a camp ground $18 to wash and dry one load ourselves.

Be aware that anywhere that if you are not a tourist area, everything except mini-marts, will be closed on Sunday - everything! We ended up buying bread and jam to go with our peanutbutter at a mini-mart because everything, except one or two cafes, was closed. We were driving from Oslo to Lom, and when we arrived in Lom discovered that the grocery store was open, but again, everything else closed.

Kolbotn, Norway
Level Contributor
353 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

Drinking water filling stations have now been installed at Gardemoen airport ,The link is only in Norweigian. http://www.osl.no/osl/servicetilbud/55_Vann

Translation.--------

If you bring an empty water bottle through security and wish to fill this, you can do this in several places in the terminal. Right after the security checkpoint, there are two filling stations.

On domestic routes, it is also possible to fill in the near gate 15, 19B, 19E and 20.

On international flights, you can fill the bottles outside the women's and men's restrooms downstairs at the gate to Duty Free and the gate 43.

All filling stations are signposted.

-----------

29 nkr for a bottle of water is an absolute rip-off, I have filled here many times at the downstairs station.

I guess so many complaints have been received that the airport had to install these filling points.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

We just got home from Norway and we found it to be a breathtaking, albeit expensive country. We found that the Subway of the day for 25 NOK was quite the bargain. We also ate at Burger King and McDonald's which we do very rarely in the States. All the hotels provided a sumptuous breakfast, so we took advantage of that. We are already planning a trip back to view the Northern Lights in or around Tromso.

1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

i made a vidoe of my visit to oslo here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPZKAM3lhUc

14. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 20:36
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

Hi, Clues C,

your video is very artistic, but not exactly informative. It would be great if you would post some sort of trip report(s) in words.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

Love the video and I am deeply envious of the contents of your suitcase. Very informative without words after the first couple of minutes.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

Love it too :)) Capture the ambience perfectly !!

18. Re: More advice for Oslo travelers, especially in summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:17