We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

I was looking at riding the Oslo-Voss-Oslo Norway in a Nutshell tour (or buying each segment piecemeal). I saw on the NSB website that there is work being done on the line between Aug 29-Sep 1 which seems to impact the Oslo-Myrdal and Voss Oslo segments.

My preference was to do this on Aug 30 but can go Aug 28 if I really have to (day after I arrive so may be hard to wake up for the 6:43 AM train).

Can anyone tell me if this would impact the NiN timetables at all? Thanks!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Work being done on the line near Oslo so the train will be replaced by a bus over this area, which probably means that your arrival in Myrdal will be late. As there is a short transfer time at Myrdal it's possible you won't make the connection and would have to wait for the next Myrdal-Flåm train. You need to check if that will still get you round in time. Alternatively check if travelling to Voss first would work. Perhaps best to ask Flåm train people if they will wait for the NSB train.

Note that the work doesn't start until Friday evening so 29th morning train would not be affected and it would only mean a slightly later arrival in Oslo in the evening. Another alternative would be to take the later train on the 28th and continue on to Bergen, then the night sleeper train back - saving you a hotel night. Book NSB early the cheapest minipris tickets are already sold out.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Thanks for the response. I didn't notice any mention of this on the NiN site, which is a bit surprising. I wanted to book the exact same itinerary regardless just to make things a bit easier but I don't think the itinerary works as a day trip if I have to wait for the next train. Booking it on my own saves me the 900 NOK (about $150 US). Based on what I've read here the connections are rather easy so I may stray a bit and do as you suggest. My main interest is the ferry ride and the Flam railway.

I wouldn't mind spending an extra day in Flam but not sure about changing my current hotel reservation in Oslo.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,529 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

If you're booking on your own then book Oslo - Flåm as that way you'll get the Flåm ticket as well. The other thing to consider is how busy Flåm will be. 29th August is relatively quiet with only 1000 cruise passengers, while 28th and 30th have around 2000 each (some days there are over 4000!) aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2014/

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Thanks again, that's interesting about the cruise passengers - I hadn't really thought about it. What I think I'll be doing now is taking the train to Flam and instead of the ferry to Gudvangen and catching a bus, I'd take the express cruise along the Sognefjord to Bergen, spending the next day there and either taking the train or, more likely, flying back to Oslo the next day. Similar to another NiN tour except the flying part.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

The real bottleneck is the Flåm Railway as many of the cruise passengeres have this inlcuded in their shore excursion and often the railway is booked solid. The Flåm-Gudvangen ferry includes the Nærøyfjord - a true highlight and not really to be missed. If you prefer 5 hours+ on a catamaran to Bergen, that is of course up to you.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

OK more food for thought. I appreciate the advice. I thought the Sognefjord was more interesting but if not I can take the bus to Voss and then the train to Bergen. Similar to the longer NiN tour but I wouldn't want the sleeper train back to Oslo so instead of a 7 hour train ride, I'd stay in Bergen for the day then fly back.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Edit: The bus to Voss from the ferry at Gudvangen.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Fjords are a lot more than just water....

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1195

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

Thanks again, everything is set. Just to drive it home a bit more I watched Rick Steve's episode on western Norway which included this fjord. Of course he took a more interesting trip than I but I can live with that. :)

10. Re: Train from Oslo S -> Myrdal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16