We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

Hello! Planning to visit Norway between 12 Sep - 16 Sep 4 days, my landing is in Oslo and return from Bergen to Edinburgh on 16th, during this time could you please advise where to see Fjords!! I am planning to do hop-on hop-off for one day in Oslo and take the scenic train to Bergen the next day and see around Bergen but really dont know where to look for those beautiful Fjords

please suggest me !!

thanks a lot!

Lokesh

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

www.fjordtours.com

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

If you follow the Sognefjord in a Nutshell tour on Pippi's link you will have a long boat trip along the Sognefjord on the way between Oslo and Bergen, and you could spend a couple of nights in the village of Balestrand to break the journey.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,562 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

Not too sure you'd find much to entertain you in Balestrand in September unless you're interested in walking. The express ferry ride direct to Bergen is in an enclosed boat - too windy and cold to be outside - a boring bumpy ride. You have only 3 whole days, I suggest you spend a day each in Oslo and Bergen and do the Norway in a Nutshell route with ferry between Flåm and Gudvangen in one day. Buying railway ticket for Oslo-Flåm in advance at nsb.no will save you money.

Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen
Visit Norway What's this?

The Oslo-Bergen Railway is one of the most scenic train lines in the world and runs over the mountain plateau Hardangervidda. Most of the route goes through changing scenic countryside, offering panoramic views of suburbs, mountains, lakes and fjords.

You might find our article “Hop on one of the world's best train rides” interesting:

visitnorway.com/en/…

For specific information on Norway in a Nutshell’s itinerary and booking options, please visit our page: visitnorway.com/en/…

Content provided by Visit Norway: www.visitnorway.com
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

The original question put a lot of emphasis on seeing fjords. The NiN route in one day will give you just a couple of hours seeing fjords. The Sognefjord in a Nutshell route gives you much longer. Many Norwegians obviously dislike express boats as a means of getting from A to B. For most tourists they are a novel way of travelling and seeing the scenery at the same time, no different from a train or bus journey except you are able to move around very easily. Can't say I have ever experienced a bumpy ride except on short sections exposed to the open sea.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

Express boats are absolutely fine for getting from A to B. They are fast, efficient and reliable. But for sightseeing I beg to disagree - especially for so many hours. And fjords are a lot more than just water.

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

Many thanks for your valuable suggestions! I guess day one do Oslo hop on hop off day 2 take Norway in a nutshell train to Bergen I will still be left with 2 days in Bergen (Day 3 and Day 4 ) Should I better spend a day more in Oslo ? or are there any other scenic Fjords near Bergen that I can cover in these two days?

Kind Regards,

Lokesh

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

You need to make some research on Oslo and find out what you would like to visit according to your interests. I would guess there are interesting spots not covered by the ho-ho buses. IMO one day is on the short side for a big city like Oslo, but that is of course a matter of travel style and interests.

visitoslo.com/en/…

Bellevue...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

We just came back from a great trip to Sweden and Norway. We skipped Oslo and went directly to Bergen. Our family of four (two adults and two older teens) loved Bergen. It is definitely worth a full day or two if you want to hike the area above the funicular. The shops of Old Bergen are interesting--lots of craft and art as well as some touristy stuff. We stayed at the Scandic Ornen which was very nice and has a fabulous breakfast that will sustain you for most of the day. The people in the Tourist Information office are wonderful, patient and helpful.

Rick Steves recommends a tour guide--I agree! The museums are a bit dry without some storytelling by an expert. (The snotty young woman at the Byrggens Museum was the only one during our three week trip that insisted on student IDs. The standing exhibit of this museum is stunningly boring (honest, I love history), but there is an excellent photographic exhibit upstairs on climate change.

From Bergen we took a cruise up the Sognefjord to Balestrand and quickly (10 minutes) transferred to a small ferry to Fjaerland where we spent two days. I cannot recommend this highly enough. The trip to Balestrand was very beautiful, first through small islands along the coast then up the fjord. It would have been nice to spend some more time in Balestrand--especially to check out bike rental. We stayed at the Fjaerland Fjordstue which was excellent. Rustic with terrific breakfast and dinner, beautifully situated, clean, comfortable, with a great staff.

You have to go to this hotel! It is wonderful. Our family is used to higher end places, but the rustic charm of this hotel is undeniable. We definitely recommend it highly. Fjaerland has been a destination for tourists since the 1800s and is well worth the visit if you are looking for a beautiful, peaceful location, and good hiking. We didn't have time for biking and kayaking--but it looked promising.

We stayed in the family room looking down the fjord at the top of this wonderful old hotel. The view in the morning was indescribably beautiful. We all slept tucked into the rafters in very comfortable beds. There is a large room and porch downstairs overlooking the fjord, where guests congregate to play cards, read or enjoy Bård's beer.

Dinner was excellent! It is served (along with delicious breakfast) in a second room that overlooks the fjord. There is nothing rustic about dining at Fjordstue Hotel. The crisp white tablecloths and elegant place settings are just perfect. The food was expertly prepared from local ingredients. In the morning, the diverse fare included waffles with jams, eggs made to order, and other items. The cook was a welcoming and delightful hostess. We arranged to make our own hearty lunches for our hike using the foods set out for breakfast. (Good idea!)

If you go, don't miss the charming and informed presentation made by the host, Bård, on Fjaerland. It enhanced our visit. Our waitress was also the tour guide for the bus. She was very helpful.

In the morning we took the bus to the Glacier Museum (which is very good!), then had the bus driver drop us off for a hike on the way to the Glacier. The hike was a trip highlight, up a challenging trail to the side of the glacier. Note that the wind off the glacier is quite cold. I was glad to have my hat and jacket.

The last morning (after two nights) we took the morning ferry (by ourselves!) wrapped in cozy wool blankets back to Balestrand and hooked into the Nutshell trip back to Bergen. Flam is a beautiful convergence of not-so-beautiful things--buses, cruise ships, trains and too many people. Stay for as short a time as possible unless you have time to bike up to the Stave Church which could be fun. We took the train to Myrdal--very nice and the pretty long train through Norwegian countryside back to Bergen. I had mixed feelings about this trip. On the one hand, we got a good view of Norway. On the other hand, it was quite a long day on a train without clean toilets, one stop for poor food, and a lot of sitting. I was very glad that we had flown into Bergen and had decided against the train from Oslo to Myrdal.

Hope you have a great trip!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need info!! Oslo - Bergen

Thanks for the trip report GyreandGimble. Looks like at least one tourist enjoyed the long express boat trip along the Sognefjord, describing it as a fjord cruise and rather better than the train journey back.