We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Oslo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Lots of talk on here about Beer being around the 5-pound mark for a pint - presumably this is in a bar or restaurant.

What are the prices like when buying cans or bottles of beer at a supermarket, say 6 cans of Heiniken for example...?

Any ideas on the cost of an average supermarket bottle of wine...?

Ahhh, back to the hotel room, socks off, bottle of beer, and the love of a good woman....

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

www.cr1.dircon.co.uk/casestudies/alcohol.htm

Have a read of that, to understand a little of how it is!

On the Hurtigruten, the 11 day wine card, entitling you to the ship's choice of one bottle of house wine per night, cost £330. £33 for a bottle of house wine.

And you'll note from the article that even wine comes only from the state monopoly shops.

Yikes!

Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Jeez, so it would appear to be virtually impossible to purchase any kind of reasonably priced alcohol in Norway. I guess my credit card in the duty-free shop on the way out will take a bit of a hammering...!?!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,366 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Sorry to make you know that there are regulations on what you can bring through the customs:

Alcoholic beverages

a) 1 litre of beverages with more than 22 up to and including 60 % alcohol per volume as well as 1½ litre with more than 2.5 up to and including 22 % alcohol per volume or 3 litres with more than 2.5 up to and including 22 % alcohol per volume .

b) 2 litres of beer with more than 2.5 or other beverages with more than 2.5 up to and including 4.7 % alcohol per volume.

This means that you may for example bring with you 5 litres of beer provided you do not have with you any other alcoholic beverages.

Only persons over the age of 18 are allowed to import alcoholic beverages. For importing alcoholic beverages with more than 22 % alcohol per volume the minimum age is 20.

Tobacco

a) 200 cigarettes or 250 g of other tobacco products and

b) 200 leaves of cigarette paper.

The minimum age for importing tobacco products is 18 years.

Look up tjis site:

www.toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.aspx…

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,366 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

By the way - the information you read about prices etc. are outdated (I saw it was dated in 2001).

Now the Vinmonopolet shops are more like ordinary shops, where you pick what you want from shelfs, and you pay at the cashier. The prices has not changed, though.

Beer that conatins more than 5 % alcohol has to be bought at Vinomonpolet.

All softer beers, like Heineken and the like, can be bought at the supermarket - a sixpack costing appr. £ 13.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

On our visits to Norway and Iceland we don't drink, no way will we pay those prices. We don't miss it - if we did we'd be worried.

Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Looks like a sound plan NOT to drink when in Oslo. Was supposed to be a cheap weekend squeezed into my holidays for the year, and I don't think my credit card could cope.

Frothing cups of hot chocolate by the log fire, surrounded by Soria Moria's snowy forests. Doesn't sound too bad, does it...

MorkenTheMonk

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Hi

At supermarkets you can buy a 1/2 liter can of beer for about 20 to 25 kroner (about 1.5£ to 2£). You can not buy wine at the supermarket. But you can buy it at the Vinmonopol for 80 kroner and up (from 6 £ and up). I understand that prices of alcohol in Norway is a bit shocking to people that is coming to visit. But if you are here for a week or two and drink a beer or two every day it is not like you will go bankrupt. If you want to find cheap alcohol there are many other (in fact most) destinations that is more ideal :-)

Regards

Gard

Scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Gard, didn't mean to cause any offence by referring to the price of alcohol - in many ways I think that it is a very good social policy for Norway.

Like you, I've travelled extensively over much of the rest of the world, however I'm still VERY much looking forward to venturing into Norway for my first visit.

Thanks for the info.

MorkenTheMonk

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

Actually, I've only found the liquor to be quite overpriced (not wine and beer) and when drinking excessively out at restaurants, which is not wise to do anyway.

Beer at the grocery store is quite reasonable and a better way to enjoy yourself is , as mentioned in the original post, to get a 6 pack for the hotel (which probably has a mini fridge) and enjoy before going out. It's not more expensive than beer purchased here in LA most of the time!

Wine is available from all over the world at the Vinmonopolet and so if you understand wine you know the best bargains. I introduced my Norwegian relatives to good Spanish and Italian brands that don't break their bank. In Europe, Norway particularly, very good wines are also found in the box - unlike in US where boxed wine is generally of poor quality. The vinmonopolet employees are generally knowledgeable (or someone there will be!) so just get one small box or one double bottle of red to enjoy at the hotel. I found this a very cost effective way to do things. I got a double bottle of Italian red wine (1.5 liters) for about $30 USD (180-200 NOK or so.) This has about 8-10 glasses in it, so per glass that's about $3-3.50 USD. Not that bad really and it was quite good wine.

I, like the poster, enjoy a busy day in town and then return to the hotel room, socks off, bottle of beer and a snack .... but the love of a good man instead! ;-)

Don't worry - you can drink well within budget in Norway. You just have to be smart about it and don't expect to get it cheap when you're dining out!

Hope this helps some! LL

norway
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Beer and Wine in a Supermarket

2007 Norway trip

1.00 GBP = 12.3667 NOK

hotel (breakfast included) kr 800-1500

lunch (bigmac index)Kr85

a nice dinner (steaks/seafood, beer/wine, norwegians don't tip) kr300+

two beers at a pub: kr60

a movie ticket, popcorn, drink : kr150

fill the 12 gallon rental car tank: kr450

train ticket from the airport to oslo city kr150

ski rental for 5 days at hemsedal about kr700

ski lift card about kr150-200 per day

after ski party kr500-1500 depending on how much you drink and eat before finding your way back to your hotel room or cabin.

As you can see, the beer at the pub is most economical.