We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
September in Norway

We are flying into Oslo on Sept 4th and plan to tour Norway until Sept 15th. We would like to visit Bergen and do have reservations at Storfjord Hotel outside of Alesund Sept 12-14.

We will be renting a car in Alesund but would prefer public transportation for most of the rest of the trip.

Can you give us some suggestions of great places to visit and stay? We're very excited about the fjords but also want to get a good feel of the culture.

We are in our 30's and do not have any restrictions with travel and are open to a variety of activities.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September in Norway

For fjords, Trøndelag/Trondheim is not the best choice. But Ålesund and southwards plus more inland is great. "Places" are not essential, as most of this area offers great landscapes.

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
725 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September in Norway

Agree that Trondheim is not the region to visit if you are lookin for fjords.

other suggestions

Go by train from Oslo to Bergen. (Maybe do the "Norway-in-a-nutshell" intiniary? http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp)

From Bergen you go by boat to Måløy and by bus along the Nordfjord to Stryn-area for lakes, waterfalls, glaciers - The Nordfjord is maybe not the most famous fjord, but landscape here is kind of "wilder" than in the fjords further south. You then also go Bergen-Stryn by bus. From Stryn area, continue to Ålesund by bus

See bus and boat times and prices at this website www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp…

If you anyway are renting a car, do consider to rent it for more days when exploring the fjords. I am sure you at some points wish you could get off the bus, sit down to enjoy the view :-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: September in Norway

Thank you for the great suggestions. I must apologize. I posted this to the wrong forum. We are not planning to visit Trondheim. My post may make slightly more sense if I correct that information.

NYC
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September in Norway

One question - are many places closed in September or is it the same as if coming in August?

Also, would you recommend driving vs. taking the trains/buses/boats?

Thanks.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: September in Norway

I'd recommend driving the fjords, as the public transportation isn't all that frequent some places and it'll be stressful to try to get everything to match with the timetables.

Also driving gives you the opportunity to stop and take in the sceneray as opposed to just glimpsing it through a window.

And no matter how you end up travelling I can recommend stopping over in the small town of Leikanger to visit Cafe Herman (http://cafeherman.no/) - run by an ex-pat American (CA).

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
725 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September in Norway

Opening hours can be more limited in Sept than in Aug. However the main attraction is the landscape which is open 24-7 :-)

Most campsites will still be though, but maybe with somewhat reduced level of service

NYC
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: September in Norway

Thanks very much! That's very helpful advice.

8. Re: September in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Trondheim
More Trondheim Topics