We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

I will be arriving in Trondheim on October 3, 2013, late afternoon, and wish to find convenient place to stay and then get train to Bodo on morning of October 4, 2013. Should I book hotel near airport or should I stay in city? I cannot find where the train station is located. Also, does Norway have a rail pass for three days travel? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Save Reply
1. Re: Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

Hi Deborah -

Your trip sounds splendid! Our family travelled has those routes between Trondheim, Bodø, and Oslo on several summer visits, and it is beautiful, especially by rail. For an overnight we'd suggest it's worthwhile to make the trip from the Trondheim-Værnes airport to downtown Trondheim, even for just an overnight. The airport is well served by both rail and airport express bus, prices fairly comparable. The bus can drop you off in front of many of the hotels downtown, and many are a very close walk to the rail station for a morning departure. The old downtown core is very scenic and everything is a close walk, including the Train Station, Trondheim S, which is near the scenic canal and Nidelva river. NSB.no has details on the Trondheim Station. We've used both rail passes through RailEurope, but also the NSB.no "Minipris" tickets, which can save you money if you're willing to lock in non-refundable dates and times. The trip to Bodø is magnificent, as is the return south from Trondheim to Oslo. You can also purchase an upgrade to Komfort class for extended day rail journeys or a sleeping compartment for night journeys (VERY comfy, especially if you have kids traveling along). God bless you for a fun and safe journey.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

Rail passes tend to be rubbish value. Much better to book point-to-point tickets when they are released. In Norway discounted train tickets are released 90 days in advance. So tickets from Trondheim to Bodo start from 249 NOK and Bodo-Oslo can also be bought for 249 NOK.

As you're a bit late for the 90 days advance purchase prices are a bit higher, but you can still get Trondheim-Bodo for 399 NOK on the 4th. Book on www.nsb.no (you might need to activate Verified by Visa/MasterCard Securecode and/or inform your bank before booking).

Trondheim Central Station is located here: http://goo.gl/maps/z34c8

If you don't want to check out Trondheim before heading to Bodo then staying at the airport would be more practical as the Trondheim-Bodo train halts at the airport on it's way north. Radisson Blu Hotel Trondheim Airport is located just above the train station, with Rica Hell Hotel a short walk away (popping over to Hell Station is always popular - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Station).

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,586 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

If you arrive late and leave early morning there is not much time for Trondheim sightseeing.

Downtown Trondheim is a nice place, compact so you can easily stroll around. This is autumn so weather can be cool and humid.

Albuquerque, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

Wow! Thank you all for the great information. It is immediately useful, and I feel more comfortable in scheduling my itinerary. I will definitely have more time in Trondheim on return prior to moving south to Oslo. So, I will get on the NSB site and proceed. Thanks again. Deborah

5. Re: Trondheim to Bodo; return to Trondheim, then onto Oslo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Trondheim
More Trondheim Topics