We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trondheim over christmas

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Trondheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chalfont...
12 posts
Save Topic
Trondheim over christmas

Greetings from Pennsylvania:

Our son has been studying a broad this semester at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. His semester ends around December 20, 2013. My husband, daughter (18) and myself decided to meet him there for a christmas/winter vacation. The four of us fly home December 30. Dan, our son is having the time of his life. Every weekend is a new adventure. This weekend he went to Lofoten Islands, two weekends ago he went to Geirangerfjord in Western Norway. He's seen the Northern Lights and so much more. Very lucky kid.

When we're there things will be much different, colder and less light. I am hoping for ideas/suggestions on how to spend our 10 day trip. Maybe stay a few days in Trondheim, then travel somewhere else, and then back to Trondheim airport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Alice

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Trondheim over christmas

In December some mt passes are closed, blocking easy access from Gålå/Vinstra to Geirangerfjord. Short days and weather can also reduce the experience. Gålå is just east of the big mountains, fjords just west. From Vinstra you can take bus to Stryn in Nordfjord or you can take train to Åndalsnes. You can of course drive, no big problem, but be aware that this eastern valley is one of the coldest places in Norway (make sure the car is prepared for temperatures below -30 C). Also make sure you have reserve time to catch your plane etc.

http://www.kortreist.no/forside/article16565.ece/BINARY/w980-adaptive/vinter2+%282%29.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21227527

stagnes.no/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/200604…

https:/…26_Hjelledalen.jpg

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trondheim over christmas

As explained before, Norway shuts down for Christmas and I would think that goes for Lillehammer as well. There will be very few tourists. Up until noon on the 24th there is a heave of activity and then home they go. Every town will be beautifully lit and decorated.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,671 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trondheim over christmas

A ski resort who celebrates Christmas for tourists will be a better choice.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Trondheim over christmas

If I'm not mistaken, the only way open to Geirangerfjord in winter is by driving the road 650 to Linge and take the ferry over there to Eidsdal and drive road 63 to Geirangerfjord from there. it can be done, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The other options open in the summer, the ferry from Hellesylt, or the roads Geirangerveien and Trollstigen, are closed during winter.

Lillehammer is quite far away from the western fjords. But there is a bus, Øst-Vest Expressen, that goes directly to Flåm or Gudvangen in Sognefjorden from Lillehammer. The bus ride takes 6 hours. Alternatively you can go all the way to Voss. It will take 7 hours

From Flåm, Gudvangen or Voss, you can follow a Norway in a Nutshell itinerary and do the tourist ferry to Gudvangen, bus ride to Gudvangen-Voss, train ride Flåm-Myrdal and train ride to Oslo. You can make these rides in various combinations.

norwaynutshell.com/en/…

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trondheim over christmas

Closest western fjords from Vinstra is Åndalsnes (some 3+ hours) and Stryn (4 hours).

From Oslo Flåm is the closest/easiest (5-6 hours).

Chalfont...
12 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Trondheim over christmas

Hi again,

Here is a copy of my son's thoughts:

Hey Mom,

Thanks for doing all the research. The only thing I'd like to bring up is that we can go to ski resorts in America. Perhaps we'd want to do something that is more unique to Norway, also? I'm sure the resorts are gorgeous, after all, Lillehammer was host to the 94 Winter Olympics, so it's definitely world class and it would be cool to see. I'd love to go a ski resort, but maybe we should try to fit something else in also. Maybe there are night trains we could take so we don't lose any daylight. I'm not sure. Again, its up to you guys. I've gotten plenty of Norwegian experience.

Love, Dan

You guys have been great so far and I feel bad asking for more help but I'm starting to feel discourage because of the time of year that we're going. Which is the only time we can go. It's the end of Dan's semester and he's coming home. Although, we can always go back.

So do you have any suggestions at all about over night trains that can take us to wonderful Norwegian places? Probably will spend Christmas (23 to 26) in Hafjell or Gala. Maybe even Roros if that works out better for visiting another area. I'm pretty sure all 3 do Christmas for tourist.

Any thoughts would be wonderful - night train, regular train, boat, bus?, renting a car, we are open to anything.

Thank you, Alice

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Trondheim over christmas

You cannot experience a Norwegian Christmas at an American ski resort.

It is possible to go anywhere within the limitations of Christmas and daylight hours and I think it would be a shame to do scenic railway journey during the night. With your limited timeframe you could start your after Christmas travelling on the 26th, maybe after breakfast.

You can go by train to Bergen (via Oslo with connection to Flåm), Åndalsnes (with connection to Ålesund by bus) and you could also go north to Bodø and make your way to the Lofoten Islands. You could go far beyond the arctic circle to Tromsø or even halfway to the North Pole and Longyearbyen if you take a flight or two.

Given it is winter and delays may occur, you should be back in Trondheim the day before your flight. Or perhaps you could fly out of another city to avoid backtracking.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Trondheim over christmas

I have to completely disagree with Klimaflyktning about night trains. If you order a cabin on a night train, you will get excellent sleep. I have taken night trains many times in my youth and i still remember how great it was to sleep while the train is moving. It's an enjoyable experience. You can cover long distances during night, and you save one night at an expensive hotel.

A cabin with two beds costs 850 NOK.

I think a night train to Hafjell is a good idea.

You can also take the night train to Oslo from Trondheim, And then, maybe after a day in Oslo, take the train towards Bergen. You can do the Norway in a nutshell itinerary.

norwaynutshell.com/en/…

From Bergen you can take Hurtigruten ship back to Trondheim. The ship journey will take 1 1/2 day

hurtigruten.com/schedule/…

Hurtigruten operates daily, and is a nice way to experience the Western coast.

So this is just an example of a possible roundtrip from Trondheim. This way you will experience Norways three largest cities, you will see the mountains on the train to Bergen, see the fjords in Flåm, and be on a spacious ship with night cabins along the coast.

There are many possibilities

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,927 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Trondheim over christmas

I did not say anything negative about the comfort of night trains, they are probably excellent for transport and for saving time. But from a tourist's point of view - a tourist that wants to see as much as possible of the scenery, night trains may not be the ideal solution, especially not in the winter darkness.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Trondheim over christmas

Bear in mind you will only have about six hours daylight even in the southern part of Norway (and a lot less as you go further north). Doing a long tour to see the scenery when much or your travelling will be in the dark doesn't make much sense to me, especially with all the problems of limited service around Christmas and many hotels closed.

Get answers to your questions about Trondheim
More Trondheim Topics