We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Orlando
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

I am looking to travel by car from Trondheim to Bergen from March 25-March 27. I am aware that some roads close. I found this trip itinerary but wanted to know if all of these roads would be open during the end of March?

Trondheim - Bergen travel route:

- Trondheim - Molde: 221 km, 4 hrs. Take the E 39 from Trondheim to Molde.

- Molde - Ålesund: 82 km, 1 hr 50 min. Take the RV 64 to Åndalsnes, then the E 136 to Ålesund.

- Ålesund - Geiranger: 107 km, 2 hrs 5 min. The RV 60 from Ålesund to Hellesylt and the ferry to Geiranger.

- Geiranger - Stryn: 75 km. 1 hr. From Geiranger, you drive the RV 15 to Stryn.

- Stryn - Førde: 120 km, 1 hr 50 min. Still on the E 39, you drive south to Førde.

- Førde - Bergen: 176 km, 3 hrs. From Førde, you take the E 39 to Lavik, from where you take the ferry to Oppedal and continue on the E 39 to Bergen.

I am looking for scenic routes. Also, how much should I expect to spend in tolls/ferries?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Bakklandet Old Town
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods
Ringve Museum
Speciality Museums
Nidarosdomen
Churches & Cathedrals
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

1) The ferry Hellesylt-Geiranger starts operating the 1st of May, and road 63 from Geiranger to Langvatn on road 15 opens late May. I suggest you skip Geiranger, drive route 60 from Hellesylt to Stryn.

2) From Stryn to Bergen, 60 to Byrkjelo, E39 to Skei, 5 to Lærdal and E16 to Bergen is a more scenic route than E39.

3) Totally 4 ferries, Molde-Vestnes costs 124 NOK for car and driver, the others around 100 NOK each. The only road toll is driving into Bergen.

Orlando
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

Great advice!

Thank you so much for your help!

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,064 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

Note that March is still winter, be prepared for snow and ice. Snow may in particular fall on road 60.

4. Re: Driving from Trondheim to Bergen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Trondheim
More Trondheim Topics