We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Trondheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

We are planning to visit Norway in end of august(22-26 Aug). I am torn between two cities Tromso or Trondheim. I am interested to see Northern lights. I know its little too early for northern lights but in the last two years oslo have seen northen lights in late august giving us hope to see them this year if the conditions are good . which city has more possibility of witnessing northern light . tromso or Trondheim?

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

The northern lights are a year around phenomenon. But it is bleak, so you need a dark sky to observe it. In my opinion, the nights are still to bright in Tromsø in August. Trondheim is too far south.

Go to Patagonia, or wait a month and go to North Norway.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

I am sorry to tell, but you can`t see the Southern lights from south America!

Why not..? Just because the Aurora circle go the "wrong way" (it`s follow the magnetic south/north Pole), but you can see her dance in Australia and New Zealand. Please check out this picture - http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/gif/pmapS.gif

But, why fly so far, when you can do it easy for you... and yes, you can see her dance in end of August, in Northern Norway. Please check out this pictures from August 30th, 2013, outside Tromsø - http://tinyurl.com/md9wzy3

Normally we can see her first dance around mid-August, on blue sky..;)

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

The last year the lights have been seen very far south in Europe, but there are very infrequent and rare occurances. Like in February when they could be seen as far south as East Anglia, South Wales and Gloucestershire - dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2569881/Aurora-…

Trondheim tends to get a show every now and again. But going there for the lights is a bad idea as you'd need to stay a month or two to have a fair chance.

As Brainspin says the nights are still quite light in Tromso. On 22nd August there's 17 hours between sunrise and sunset. The remaining hours are filled with twilight.

Still might be able to see the lights though, but the show will be nothing like the ones you get when it gets properly dark.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

If you are going to make a trip with the particular goal to see the Northern Lights, then do not waste your time - head straight to Tromso. But I would certainly wait for a few more months.

5. Re: Northern Lights in end Aug (22-26 Aug)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Trondheim
More Trondheim Topics