We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geiranger fjord

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Geiranger fjord

Hello--We are traveling to Norway this summer. I just booked a port-to-port cruise on the Hurtigruten. We board in Bergen and depart the ship 36 hours later in Trondheim. Apparently, the ship sails from Alesund up the Geiranger fjord (3 hours) and back to Alesund, then continues up the coast.

We had planned to drive from Trondheim to ��ndalsnes (spend 1 night), then to Geiranger and spend 2 nights. However, it looks like Geiranger is a pretty small place and I wonder if, having sailed up the fjord, we will have gotten a good view and thus, should spend our time going in another direction/seeing some other towns/cities. Anyone who has done the cruise or traveled in this area, your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks, LHN

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geiranger fjord

I took that route southbound, and stopped over in Alesund to take that fjord daytrip that only the northbound ferry makes. No cabins were available, so I saved a lot of money for just one awkward night slumped in the ships lobby and the rest of trip was 3 daytimes. Also I took a sleeper train to connect the ports, so can't comment on any road trips.

The fjord portion was a little of a letdown due to menacing weather and the way you are at the bottom of a steep "ditch" - maybe better if you can get up to overlooks. Gier. looked like a tiny town of little interest except as a jumping off point. Alesund is super charming, and I would love to use that as a base more in the future. Trondheim bored me, as did it's end of the ferry route . Next time I may use Andalsnes (sp?) with it's famously scenic rail line to connect (by bus?) with the ferry ports.

malmoe, sweden
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geiranger fjord

Geiranger IS a very small place, and in summertime packed with tourists. Perfect for fjord viewing, but not much else.

If you visit Geiranger on the Hurtigruten on the way north, my advice would be to focus on Andalsnes and perhaps Alesund driving south.