We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
379 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

Is it possible to travel to Geiranger without a car? I've read that there is a ferry there from some neighboring towns but I've been having trouble finding the info.

I am interested in traveling to Geiranger from Oslo and Bergen.

Once in Geiranger, some of the trailheads I've seen seem to be within walking distance in the town. (geiranger.no/map_of_walks_with_descriptions.…) I just want to confirm if this is the case.

Thanks!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

The best option for visiting Geiranger is from the city Alesund:

http://www.visitalesund.com/default.asp?sp=GB

Alesund can be reached by flights and buses from both Oslo and Bergen, but it is along distance from both.

Here you will find information about how to get to Alesund:

www.visitalesund.com/default.asp…

Geiranger is a very small resort and the town is walkable. However, if you like to get some of the fantastic sceneries and views an organised excursion or renting a car are the best options. You will, of course, also get most of the fantastic scenery by going by boat from Alesund, but several sights like Dalsnibba, Flydalsjuvet and Ørneveien (Eagle Road) are all inland.

http://www.geiranger.no/english.html

Hope this helps.

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

Agree with greek traveller, but if you want to break your journey between Bergen and Geiranger,then you could cross the Sognefjord at Flam for Balestrand and the next day travel by bus /ferry to Geiranger.

If my memory serves me correct the travel time from Balestrand to Hellsylt is about 5 hours.But the ferry ride from Hellesylt to Geiranger is worth it.

The tourist office in Geiranger should provide you with hiking maps and any other information you might require.

When the wheather is good the hike to Skagefla mountain fram is one of the most scenic hikes in Fjord Norway.

In summer a bus travels to Dalsniba ,1500 Meters above the fjord ,once a day.

Heinrich

Western Isles
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

Hi

I am visting Geiranger on a cruise on the Grand Princess in August 2008. I would like to hire a car for the day but have no idea where the hire car firms are located in relation to where the ship docks. Can anyone help

Many Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

Send a request to the local tourist office:

http://www.geiranger.no/service_e.html

Geiranger is a small village.

Trondheim
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

It is indeed possible to travel to Geiranger without a car.

From Oslo:

1) In the summer, you can catch a bus from Oslo going to Stryn. As Stryn is situated about an hour from Geiranger you would have to change bus at a place called Langevatn (half an hour drive to Geiranger). I know there are some direct connections between these two routes, but you will have to get information about these from a tourist office (in Oslo). Be aware that Langevatn is "in the middle of nowhere", so you won't like to wait there in the middle of the day, and certainly not at night.

2) Take the train from Oslo to Åndalsnes (about 6 hours). In the summer you can go directly from Åndalsnes to Geiranger (about 2 hours). In the spring/autumn you would have to take a bus from Åndalsnes to Sjøholt (about 1 1/2 hours), and from there catch a bus to Geiranger (about 1 1/2 hours).

In the summer time this is the option I would prefer.

3) Fly to Ålesund, the nearest town. For tickets check sas.no. Then you can go via bus directly from Ålesund to Geiranger (all year, though not more than 2-3 departures a day) which would take aprox. 2 hours.

4) Take the bus from Oslo to Sjøholt (8 hours), and from there take the bus to Geiranger.

From Bergen:

1) From the 1st of May you can go with the Hurtigruten (coastal route via boat), from Bergen directly to Geiranger. Although I haven't done it myself, I think you would be highly pleased with this option as you'll get to see the coast, and you'll be "on first row" to see the fjords. Read more at www.hurtigruten.no

2) Bus from Bergen to Ålesund (7 hours), and then bus from Ålesund to Geiranger (2 hours).

The trailheads are indeed in walking distance from the town, but beware that some of them are not for the untrained/unexperienced (there have been several casualties over the last years) - ask in the tourist office for information about safe trails.

Have a nice trip, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. I'm a local, so I should know what I'm talking about :)

Charlotte, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

I also am planning to visit Geiranger, coming from Bergen. Our trip will be in late May. I have done some research and am no expert, but we have ruled out the Hurtigruten trip from Bergen to Alesund to Geiranger because it leaves Bergen at night and arrives in Alesund at about 9:30 a.m. One misses seeing the coast because I assume it would be somewhat dark and one would want to sleep a bit. Also, it's very expensive. We are opting to fly to Alesund and then take an ordinary ferry into Geiranger. At that time of year, some roads might still be closed, including the Trollstigen. Does this sound right to you, ehphpe?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

You are right ! There is more snow in the mountains than it has been for years.

8. Re: Geiranger travel, ?public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 03:15