We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

We are flying into Bergen, renting a car and driving to Flam for a 3 night stay. We then drive to Alesund for a 3 night stay. The morning of our departure from Alesund, we are planning on driving back to Bergen. I have read that it is 269 miles but takes 8 hours. Are we crazy to do this by car?

We are traveling in July so I assume all routes are open, etc. We want to leave at sunrise so we don't waste our whole day driving. Once in Bergen we have a 2 night stay to explore.

Thanks in advance!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Here is a map with route and descriptions in English for you:

www.gulesider.no/kart/map.c…

Estimated time is 6,5 hrs, but this does not include any stops - neither necessary waiting and crossing by ferry over the Sognefjord.

It is doable, but exhausting !

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Thanks for the reply. We are hoping that the scenery makes the trip bearable...I have a feeling it will be.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

I can assure you that the scenery will be fantastic ! Have a nice trip.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Hello.

No,it is not crazy !!

I came back to Bergen yesterday, and drove Molde - Bergen ( Molde is a bit further north than Alesund) very easily.

Started by taking the ferry from Molde around 12 o`clock to Vestnes, drove to Stranda - incl. ferry and onwards through Hornindal,Stryn and Jolster ( in Jolster around around 4 o`clock) to Lavik where I crossed the Sognefjord. The ferries departs every half hour ( or so), crossing time 20 minutes. Skei - Lavik is a little less than two hours drive, and after having crossed the Sognefjord it is 1 1/2 (may be you need 2 hours to Bergen).

Have a nice trip.

Grethe

san francisco
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Also, sunrise in July is VERY early!!! So you'll have a nice long day to take your time. I think daylight is from 4-5 a.m. until 10-11 p.m. And its not all that dark the other hours either!!

Its one of the wonderful things about July in Norway.

Have a great time! I'll be there in August.

Oslo
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Sunrise is about 4 am and sunset at 10.30 pm in the middle of July, so you could expect daylight from 3 am to 11.30 pm.

Oslo
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

And you're definitely not crazy (if you don't hate to drive). I often drive this far on weekend trips.

E39 is the fastest road, but not the most scenic (but even E39 is kind of scenic) road between Ålesund and Bergen.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

Wow...thanks everyone! You are all so helpful.

I think our only concern is the ferry right outside of Alesund. Do you think it operates that early? I will try to search the web to find the schedule but if anyone knows, that would be great as well.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Aalesund, Norway
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

If you take the route Greek-Traveller mapped, the ferry timetable are like this:

Solavågen-Festøy (first ferry) departures: 03:40-04:40-05:30-06:10-06:50-07:10-07:30-07:50-08:10....

Driving from the centre of Ålesund to Solavågen approx. 20 min.

Volda-Folkestad departure every half hrs from 06:00.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,830 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive from Alesund to Bergen- CRAZY???

It's not crazy at all, it's lovely :)

But don't stay 3 nights in Flåm unless you have plans there. Flam is a tiny village. Use time on the road to Ålesund instead, don't hurry, make detours to sights.