We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique places to stay

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Unique places to stay

Wife and I are almost finished planning our three weeks of driving around western Norway and haven't been sucessful is filling in acommodations for two nights in two areas--that's four nights left. We don't like hotels with more than six rooms, we do like small B&Bs, farm stays, and self-catering (as long as it's not a large place--too much chance of noisy neighbors.) We've also looked at fisherman's cabins and lighthouses but haven't found any reasonably priced or quaint enough.

It appears that all of the web sites for each city or district only tout the big chain hotels and that's a pity.

We would appreciate any ideas for a place along the coast around Floro/Ferde (south to Bergen or north to Alesund, and Molde (south to Alseund, north to Trondheim.)

Thanks world travelers, for any help.

Robin and Cathy Smillie, Tampa, Florida

www.rainbowphototours.com

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique places to stay

Hi,

I have sent a reply to your personal message with some links.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique places to stay

Here you will find some options:

http://www.dehistoriske.com/

Perhaps you like something like this:

www.nordfjordpanorama.no/index.php…

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
722 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique places to stay

This one is really unique, but not cheap

http://www.juvet.com/default.aspx?menu=631

Cottages at a farmn near Stryn nordfjord.no/en/…

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique places to stay

Hi Robin and Cathy!

In rural Norway, you'll be hard-pressed not to find things magical in the small towns where you might overnight. Choose a village over a city every time, if you can!

I rave about Flåm, the village at the head of the fiord where the Norway in a Nutshell train pulls in.

Not for the train ride, though. The train makes a brief, well-organized stop for travelers to shop and then take a quick boat cruise. Then they're hustled on their way again. We drove in, though, and overnighted. Flåm boasts a sparkling location at the head of a very long, curving fiord. He stayed for about US$125 at Heimly Pension in Flåm.

From Flåm heading east and north, you could take the longest tunnel in the world, the Lærdal Tunnel, 15 miles long beneath a mountain. It features artificially blue-lighted galleries along the way to fool you into thinking you're approaching the end when you're really not.

I wouldn't take the tunnel, though. We found a better way! Over the top of the same mountain. Drive east from Flåm to the next town, Aurland, and from there take the old highway, a steep climb up, then through the clouds and patches of left-over snow of the Norwegian sæter country. It's like a road to the sky. The paved road takes you past grazing sheep and goats that go pretty well where they want.

Train passengers don't even get to see scenery like this, let alone stop when they wish, but with your own wheels it's there for you!

Happy travels and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique places to stay

Thanks a lot, Capetien! For me, your message is proof that our love for our country is not wasted. Let's keep it up!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique places to stay

Excellent advice (as always) from Capetien!

Juvet is of course something very special, perhaps room rates are special too. It is at an excellent location, only 200 meters from the road between Åndalsnes/Trollstigen and Geiranger.

At Åndalsnes you might also consider Aak Hotel

http://www.hotelaak.no/

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique places to stay

This one you probably know already:

unusualhotelsoftheworld.com/MoljaLighthouse

8. Re: Unique places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 05:17