We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it matter which Hurtigruten boat you choose?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Washington DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How much does it matter which Hurtigruten boat you choose?

We are planning to take a three night Hurtigruten cruise from Bergen to Lofoten in late July. We will be traveling with our two children, 6 and 9, so are keeping our boat time relatively short.

My main question: how much of a difference does it make which boat you choose? We can book the Trollfjord, one of the millenium class ships, or the Nordkapp, from the mid-1990s. The date of the Nordkapp sailing is significantly more convenient for us, but I have heard that the Trollfjord is a much nicer boat.

For those who have experience with both ship types: what do you think?

And any tips for doing this trip with children?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it matter which Hurtigruten boat you choose?

I have only sailed on the Kong Harald which is virtually identical to the Nordkapp. The Trollfjord is newer and larger but a quick walk-on didn't show me that it was much nicer.

See if your children can get a tour of the bridge. They might also find the procedure for loading and unloading the ship at the stops to be entertaining. Exploring the numerous ports will keep them entertained as well.

Barbara

Washington DC
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it matter which Hurtigruten boat you choose?

Thank you! Those are all good ideas. Nice to know it doesn't make much difference about the ship - we will go with the more convenient timing then.

3. Re: How much does it matter which Hurtigruten boat you choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 16:17