We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Since I've received all the useful info for a very enjoyable trip, I'd like to share with you my experience: We didn't take any trip through the ship.

Stavanger - took the Rodne boat to Lysefjord. We reserved through their site, and paid on arrival.

Olden - took the local bus to Briksdale glacier, and then trolleys. The bus is located on the main road, about half a mile from the pier, in front of the main shopping center.

Geiranger - took the local bus to mount Dalsnibba, right on the pier, tickets at the tourist office. Get there quickly, not enough places... Amazing views.

Bergen - took the funicular to Mount Floyen, walked back down. Amazing views. You can buy tickets at the tourrist info only if you want return tickets. So we stood in a long line for tickets for about 45 minutes, while groups had priority...

I'll be happy to reply to further questions, and thanks again to this forum for providing priceless tips for individuals who like to make their own plans... Daniela

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Hi Daniela,

It looks like you had a great trip - thanks for coming back to us, and for sharing !

I hope you don't mind that I copy this to the review sticker on the top of the forum as reference for future travellers.

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Of course. The tips from this forum made our trip !!! I'm more than happy to share and reply to questions.

We were lucky to have a wonderful weather, so we enjoyed your beautiful country to the most. We were 3 couples happy to make our own plans, according to our wishes, and not pay the exorbitant prices demanded by the cruise line. We ended up meeting our fellow cruisers on the same places... but paying 80% less....

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Hi Daniela,

Thanks for your comments.

My husband and I will also do a cruise in 2 weeks, departing from Copenhagen and doing:

Copenhagen

Olden

Bergen

Oslo

Geiranger

Hellesylt

Stavanger

Copenhagen

We will be travelling with our 20-months-old girl and are considering doing most of the excursions not through the cruise line, as they are expensive.

Do you know all the piers?

Do you think it is possible doing everything on our own? We thought that Copenhagen, Oslo and Bergen would be quite easy, just to stroll around.

From what you say it is easy to visit the Fiordes by bus. I think we will do that. Any other advice?

You refer that in Stavanger you took the Rodne boat to Lysefjord and reserved through their site. Was it worth it? What did you do/see exactly?

Sorry for the questions and thanks so much for your help!

Alexandra

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Hi Alexandra,

As said, those 4 were the piers we've been to - Stavanger and Olden - we just got down to the pier and walked on our own. Geiranger - there are tenders. Bergen - the ships docks at an industrial area of the port, and they take you by bus to the city center. Bergen was our shortest stay - until 2pm, and they told us the last bus will be at 1pm. So, practically all the ship was there at noon.50.... We stood in line for 40 minutes !!! The youngest passangers decided to walk back to the port, but they were not allowed to enter, so they were forced to wait for the buses anyhow. So that's Bergen.

Apart from Stavanger, we had nice weather at the 3 other ports.

Stavanger - since one of our party is very ill, we didn't pay for anything in advance. At Rodne they told us the reservation (without paying) will hold until 15 min. before departure. The cost is 390 Krone. It was pouring rain and only my husband ventured above to take pictures. The other five remained inside the ship. To sum it up - reserve, because there were a lot of disappointed people who couldn't get into this trip (10.30am). If the weather is nice, it is worth it.... In hindsight, the ship also, while travelling, takes you to very nice sightings, but it was our 1st stop after Southampton and we were eager to see Norway. All the way to Olden my hubby was up at 6am and the sights were amazing.

Olden, Geiranger and Bergen - no problem doing it on your own.

I'd like to mention that ours was a special trip, due to our friend's terminal illness, so we were into paysage sights alone, "let's play it by the ear", nothing organized in advance, no museums, factories, churches, etc.

Feel free to ask any more details, I'll be glad to help. Daniela

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Daniela,

You have been most helpful.

Just another question: was very chill in the mountains? I plan to take kispos and a coat.

I think we will try to do most of the things by our own.

We did already a cruise to the Caribbean and in the Mediterranean up to Istanbul (just the 2 of us, no babies then) and did most of the things on our own.

My only concern is travelling with our baby girl but I think she will cooperate.

I hope your friend is better or, at least, feeling better and hope she/he did enjoy the trip. I am sure it is a very positive person to do such a journey.

All the best and happy travels.

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

It was windy, especially on the pier, near the ship. I've been "coated" with a lot of things - 2 thermal vests, sweater, fleece, and rain/wind coat, fleece hat and something arround my throat... Especially if you go to the Briksdal glacier (Olden), the trolleys take you near waterfalls, and is wet and chilly... I forgot to mention that at Hellesylt - the stop is only for those who took an excursion with the ship.

We also took a cruise to the Caribbean last year, but Norway is different - in every port at the Caribbean there were people offering the same trips as the ship (but much cheaper....) and taxis. We went down and shared trips/taxis with people from the ship that we didn't even know. For Norway - you have to plan ahead and with us there were also a lot of passangers that took the local buses - obviously they've made their homework on TA like myself.

Yes, our friend enjoyed the trip very much, even if saddly, it will turn out that it was his last trip... At least, we are happy that we had a nice weather and he could take lots of pictures, which is his hobby.

I wish you an enjoyable cruise, and I'm sure your baby girl will "cooperate" - the fresh air will do her only good....

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Thanks for everything. :)

I'll write you a PM after.

All the best,

Alexandra

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Sorry Daniela. It is me again. :)

Just another question: when you say “you have to plan ahead”, you mean going and knowing where to head for the buses, correct? No need to pre-book. You just need to know where to address.

These are “normal” local buses, not touristic.. Did I understand you right?

Alexandra

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

You understood right :-)

1) Reserve with Rodne; 2)Take the local bus at Olden and then rush (limited spaces) to buy tickets for the trolleys, it will be very steep with the baby otherwise; 3) Geiranger - the bus is right on the pier, rush to buy tickets from the Tourist Info. Those are local buses, 3-4 hours apart, I don't know if they sell tickets when all the seats are taken.

If you have the ship schedule, I can tell you the buses' schedule.

I also wish you all the best, Daniela

Lisbon
Level Contributor
937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips from a cruise to Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger & Bergen

Thank you very much for your help. The schedule is this:

Oslo Arrival    13:30 Departure  19:00

Stavanger Arrival    15:00 Departure    19:30

Olden Arrival    12:00 Departure    19:00

Geiranger Arrival    08:00 Departure 13:30