We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Does anyone know if it's possible to travel by boat from Bergen to Alesund during the daytime in mid-April? My son and I will be arriving in Bergen April 17 and would like to do this boat trip on April 19 if it is possible. All I see on the Hurtigruten website is a night boat. Is this a good way to see the fjords, or do these boats mostly travel in the open sea? We are thinking of doing Norway in a Nutshell on April 18, so we will see fjords that way, but my son is interested in seeing Alesund and environs, and traveling back to Oslo by a different train route from the one he will take from Oslo to Bergen. I assume it will be necessary to book all of these trips - boat, train, and Norway in a Nutshell - in advance?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
704 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

You don`t see the fjords with Hurtigruten, except from Geirangerfjord which it makes a detour to during summer season, this summer schedule starts April 15th

hurtigruten.no/Norge/…

It is possible to go by express boat from Bergen as far as to Måløy, and continue to Ålesund by bus. However not into any fjords enrout. Bear in mind that this is a fast boat, and not one where you can see the scenery slowly pass by from the deck.

…fjord1.no/Fjord1IISStaticTables/…23-531.htm

Edited: 26 March 2012, 05:46
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

The express passenger boats, the only option for day-time boat travel between Bergen and Ålesund, are a bit like travelling on a wide-cabin plane. They also follow the outer coast and do not enter the fjords. The best way to see some fjords on a one-day trip from Bergen to Ålesund is going by bus. The bus line 431 Fjordekspressen Bergen-Stryn-Ålesund will give you glimpses of Sognefjord from the ferry Lavik-Oppedal: …panoramio.com/photos/original/34254601.jpg

The beatiful lake Jølster: …googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/…

Nordfjord: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…26_Oldedalen.jpg

Geirangerfjorden at Hellesylt: http://g.co/maps/kdm3m

Bus departure from Bergen at 8:00 will bring you to Ålesund at 18:40. Time table here: http://www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp?page=2502

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Thank you for all this helpful information. Do you think that, putting boat travel from Bergen to Alesund aside, we will get the look at fjords we are seeking by doing Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen?

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,778 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Yes, absolutly.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Norway in a nutshell includes the ferry ride Gudvangen-Flåm on the iconic Nærøyfjorden, so it is a good way to see a fjord.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Thank you all for your help. This is my first trip to Norway and so my first time using the Norway forum, and the Norwegians who participate in the forum are by far the most responsive and helpful I have seen on Trip Advisor. I look forward to seeing your beautiful country and meeting some of your countrymen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

can Bergen to Alesund- and back to bergen covered in 1 day?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Yes. With bus one way and plane back again (or flying both ways).

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

Do you recommend Osterfjorden near bergen? Any idea how to reach there?

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,778 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day-time boat travel from Bergen to Alesund

For a day trip from Bergen to great fjords either the Norway in a Nutshell or sightseeing boat to fjords near Bergen (like Osterfjorden). If you have time, nutshell is the most impressive.