We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten shore excursions

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
melbourne
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hurtigruten shore excursions

We're going from Bergen to Kirkenes in March 2013 & wonder if anyone has feedback on any of the Hurtigruten shore excursions around that time of year.

I've been reading previous posts from 2011 & 2009 but thought that someone may have some more updated info.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

47 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Only did four. Trondheim was good - the cathedral is very interesting. Tromso - not so much, but it gets you off the boat!

At Honningsvag I opted, with a few other people, not to go to the North Cape but to go to the fishing village and Xmas shop. The lady who runs the shop sends a bus if there are enough people for it to be worthwhile, showed us around some of the village and down to the harbour, into the processing shed, then over to her Xmas house which was jammed full of really nice Xmas stuff plus some year-rounbd items like embroidered table runners. While we looked around, she made coffee and we all had coffee and Norwegian Xmas cake then bought whatever we'd picked and strolled back to the bus. The scenery was very nice - not pretty, but it was a very pleasant journey to and fro and we all thought it had been a good half day. Other pax who did the North Cape said they'd seen next to nothing because the closer they got to the cape, the thicker the mist/fog!

I also did the unlikely trip at Kirkenes. Unlikely? Well, the trip to the Russian border was OK, the border itself very dull, but after we went to an open cast mining area, saw some of the rusting mega trucks, saw some amazing views over the mined wasteland (think lunar) and the tunnels used during WW2. Really interesting and unique.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

In towns like Ålesund, Molde and Trondheim you can go on your own as the ship docks virtually in the very centre. In Trondheim perhaps take bus direction cathedral (regarded as Norway's national cathedral).

The fighting near Kirkenes at the end of WW2 was in effect the northernmost section of the eastern front. Sovjet forces liberated Kirkenes (the first free town) and the eastern most part of Finnmark county. The retreating German forces burned and destroyed virtually every house and bridge in Finnmark.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Was on Hurtigruten (Tromso Kirkenes and back) this March. Excursions on this trip are limited - my wife opted for the North cape trip and she found it very interesting with much to see in the visitor centre. I stayed in Honningsvag but there is very little to see/do there,only a few shops and cafes.

The husky experience at Kirkenes was the highlight of this trip and it booked up early.

More people went to the Russian border and from what I heard were not that impressed.

Hammerfest is worth a visit if ship schedule permits. There is a very interesting museum.

Prior to this trip we did the Bergen - Tromso route and would recommend the tour in Alesund. We had a very knowledgeable local lady who pointed out much that we would have missed.

The Trondheim walking tour was a waste of money as all our 'guide' did was take us to the cathedral (worth a visit) and back and told us virtually nothing about any points of interest on route. The cathedral is very easy to find and it's only about a 15 minute walk.

Do get off in Tromso,there are lots of shops, a few museums and an Aquarium. Also the cable car if the weather permits and the Arctic cathedral on the same bus route.

Hope this helps.

melbourne
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Thanks everyone for these great replies. You all raised so many interesting & helpful details. We will try to incorporate all your advice into our trip. Thank you so much!

melbourne
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Thanks for your terrific post. Because you went in March ... did you see the lights?? Also, was it very icy walking around the streets? (thinking of getting some of those strap-on spikes for our shoes if you thought it was necessary). Thanks again, Karen

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

The strap on spikes were great especially in Tromso and further north. Buy some on line for cheaper prices. They were available on ship but cost twice as much.

Yes we did see the lights but not that brightly but many folks who were in the same area had better sightings. It's just being in the right place at the right time.

Despite that we had a great time.Norway is a beautiful place.

melbourne
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Really excited about our trip now! Thanks for info - greatly appreciated.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

We are taking the Hurtigruten 12 day voyage in February 2014 and are looking at the excursions. They seem to be graded 1-3 in terms of physical activity. I'm keen on trying the sledding and snow mobile trips but a bit worried about being able to cope-not being very fit or flexible. Has anyone been on them and how fit do you need to be to enjoy them safely?

melbourne
Level Contributor
57 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

I've just been on the husky excursion yesterday and it would depend on what kind of limitations you have??? You need to be able to hold on a bit, but there's very little walking involved if that helps. Being unfit or inflexible would not be a problem. The husky sleds Carry two people and a musher drives the sled. You drive the snow mobiles on your own. I didn't go on the snowmobiles but one active 70 year lady I met went and loved it. Let me know of I can tell you more ...

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurtigruten shore excursions

Thanks for that, I had heard the ride was bumpy and might cause problems if you had back problems (which I have). Did you find the pavements icy or slippery when walking?

Reply to: Hurtigruten shore excursions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted