We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Hi all,

I've booked my flight ticket to Bergen and Stavanger for 4 days during Easter, arriving in Bergen airport on 29 March @ 11am and leaving Stavanger Airport on 1 April @ 20:45 pm.

Question: What is the best way for us to see the Fjord with our limited time there? These are our thoughts so far:

1. We have a day max allocated for travelling between Bergen and Stavanger and am open to the most efficient but scenic way to see the Fjords.

2. Alternatively, either at Bergen or Stavanger, we can take a half day cruise to see the Fjord at that area

Now, I am not sure if it's the best use of our time to do both 1 and 2. Any thoughts? For now, this is how my rough itinerary looks like:

29 Mar - Arrive Bergen 11:30am: Explore Bergen

30 Mar - Get from Bergen to Stavanger (Ferry, Bus or Hire Car) - Explore Stavanger if we have time in the afternoon.

31 Mar - Hike Pulpit Rock

1 Apr - Morning: Explore Bergen, Afternoon: Fjord sightseeing Ferry, Evening: Depart Stavanger at 20:45.

So, any thoughts? I know I may not be allocating enough time for Bergen, but our main aim was to hike Pulpit rock and see the Fjords. Also do advice on the best, scenic way to get to Stavanger, either Bus, Hire Car, or Ferry. We would be more interested in the best experience in terms of seeing what's on offer and prepared to bite the bullet in terms of costs.

Thoughts very much welcomed!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Please do not do triplicate postings. Will you fly into Stavanger and out of Bergen or vice versa ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Hi klimaflyktning,

Sorry - I don't know how tripadvisor works in terms of posts, for example would someone in the Stavanger forum that may have an input would see my post in the Bergen forum? Is there a better way for me to get to both sets of readers, or is Tripadvisor somehow clever enough to make it available to both forums?

I am flying into Bergen on 29 Mar (arriving 11:30am) and out from Stavanger on 1 Apr at 20:45pm.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Most people read the complete Norway forums, it is not necessary to post the same question on different subforums.

Your itinerary looks OK, I expect you mean Stavanger, not Bergen on April 1.

The easiest way to travel from Bergen to Stavanger is by bus, it takes 5,5hrs. If you rent a car and accept to pay the one-way drop-off fee, you could make a more scenic detour via Hardanger and Ryfylke, it would take a full day: http://goo.gl/maps/w1EwO

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

All posts will show on the Norway forum regardless - besides we are only a handful of regulars on the forum.

Sorry for not reading your post properly, you do indeed state from where you are arriving and departing.

Arriving in Bergen on Good Friday you may find that the funicular to mount Fløyen will run and the Aquarium may be open. A few restaurants will also be open. This can easily be done in one half day.

Hiking Pulpit Rock you will already cover the Lysefjord area, that is the only fjord close to Stavanger.

Fjords are too far from Bergen to be available as a half day cruise. The only option is Norway in a Nutshell - a full day tour.

If you would like to cover a fjord area on your way from Bergen to Stavanger, you can rent a car and travel via the Hardangerfjord area. The most sensible would be to keep the car and go straight to the Pulpit Rock tailhead, spend the night, do Pulpit Rock in the morning and continue to Stavanger after the hike. Deliver the car at Stavanger airport.

You can drive like suggested below, this will include the scenic route 7, but bear in mind it will be a long drive and there are not many shortcuts if you want to include the fjord area.

http://goo.gl/maps/070EI

www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/hardanger

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Thank you for the tips! OK - Noted for next time on the postings.

Yes, on April 1 I meant Stavanger, not Bergen.

Further questions please:

1. For the bus vs. Car trip. I need a personal opinion - ignoring the cost aspect, would you feel that driving would give me more amazing views and photo opportunities than taking the bus, including the detour via Harganger and Ryfylke?

2. Do you think it's necessary for me to take the 3 hrs Stavanger Rødne Fjord Cruise since I will already have taken a day's worth of Fjord scenery drive from Bergen to Stavanger?

Edited: 03 February 2013, 16:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

Thanks - I like the idea of driving straight to the Pulpit Rock Trailhead! That way we can be there bright and early to be one of the first ones at the top! Is there a place for us to spend the night there? We can't camp as I am not planning to be bringing my camping gear.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

You could stay at Preikestolen Fjellstue: www.preikestolenfjellstue.no/index.php…

Book ASAP, they may be fully booked for the Easter holiday.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

The bus is along the coast, the fjord scenery will be better.

Rødne Fjord Cruise goes to Lysefjord - I think you will get a view of Pulpit Rock from below. Not necessary imo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

OK - Just booked a room @ Preikestolen Fjellstue. From the internet only the ensuite one is available - I would have preferred the cheaper one with shared bathroom for 1 night. But at least I have a room now and can call them tomorrow to see if they have availability for a cheaper room with shared bathroom.

Now, the only question left is whether I should take the bus or hire a car. Which one should I go for? Ignore the fact I have a room at Preikestolen Fjellstue as I can cancel if necessary. I am more interested in knowing which method of travel would give me a much better way to experience the fjord, and if there are any short hikes I should consider along the way.

This trip will be on 30 March and I would need to reach Stavanger/Preikestolen the same day.

Thanks all - You've been much help!

Edited: 03 February 2013, 17:40
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Days Stavanger and Bergen - Best way to see the Fjords

It is your holiday and your money - you have to decide cost over convenience. A car will give flexibility to actually go to the fjord area, to do photo stops as you like etc. Do some sightseeing in other words. But it is a long drive + a ferry, I do not think there will be time for even a short hike. The bus will be transport only in comparison as the express coach does not go through the fjords and you will not be able to straight to Preikestolen Fjellstue - you will have to spend the night in Stavanger and use the public transport to Preikestolen Fjellstue the next morning.