We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
long island, ny
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Hi,

We are hoping to book a Hurtigruten cruise and then follow up our 2 1/2 week trip exploring Norway via rental car.

We are debating the 12 day and 7 day northbound cruise on Hurtigruten. If we do the 7 day will fly from Kirkenes to Trondheim, rent a car in Trondheim and tour around the Western fjord area (songefjord; nordfjord; Jontelheimen) before flying out from Oslo.

12-day; we'd pick up the car in Bergen and loop around before heading to Oslo.

Any advantages to taking the 12 day cruise? Would hate to miss out on some good sight seeing or hiking by visiting the same ports twice.

Thanks!

Sue

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Hurtigruten experts should answer, but my hunch is that the 12 day trip may be too much of the same. Depends on your interests and preferred mode of travelling.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Well, we are not really "cruise people.". We did an Alaska cruise in the Inside Passage and weren't always happy following someone flaws schedule.

Thanks....I think you helped me answer my own question!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

A trip on Hurtigruten is not a cruise. It is the coastal woking ferry and calls numerous stops each day, some for 15 mins and some for an hour or so. There will be a mixture of passengers some local doing a short trip and others doing the whole trip. Stops are made day and night. Those stopped at during the day northbound will be stopped a during the night southbound and vis versa.

They are small well equipped comfortable ships and no entertainment.

The scenery is spectacular as the ships follow the inland coastal passage. It is a very relaxing way to travel. There are excursions ashore arranged.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 21:11
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

The newer Hurtigruten ships (which is now most of them) are effectively cruise ships, just relatively small ones and with no entertainment provided, other than watching the amazingly varied and spectacular Norwegian coastal landscape roll by. They do still serve also as a means of coastal transport for Norwegian people and goods but this service would not exist without the 'cruise' passengers.

If you are not really 'cruise' people I think a half voyage will be enough and your first option will work very well.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Please read through this thread if you haven't already:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190500-i932-k1348…

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Some video impressions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXN331WooMM

long island, ny
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Thanks all. We booked the 7 night northbound. Flying to Oslo from kirkenes & renting a car from there.

Will be in Norway in less than 2 weeks & can't wait!

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

I think you should go for 7 days northbound cruise on Hurtigruten and then will fly from Kirkenes to Trondheim, through this way you can explore new or different site scenes. It is only possible with independent travel with car rental.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

Thanks. We looked into that but the airfare to Trondheim put us over budget.

10. Re: Hurtigruten cruse + independent travel with car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:18