We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fjords in April

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fjords in April

Hello, I would be happy to get advice from you.

I will give my full itinerary but my question will be especially around two days.

Oslo - geilo (2 days) eidfjord (3) flam(1)sogndal(1) loen (2) lom(1) Lillehammer (1) Oslo airport (1)

We will start with a car from Oslo on the last days of march and ski one day in geilo.

Allthough i will be happy to hear everything you have to say my question is about route no. 7.

I understand that Oslo - geilo will probably have no problem regarding reaching my destination. But from geilo to eidfjord it could be tricky. Is there a situation in which I will not be able to reach my hotel in eidfjord at all?

Thank you and we are a family of five, so car is our only option.

Oren

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,812 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fjords in April

Are your "days" full days or are they the number of nights you intend to stay there ? If they are nights please note that they will offer you only one full day if you stay more than one. The travel will also take time away from you leaving little time to explore your destinations.

Level Contributor
5 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fjords in April

Hi,

I hope I understood your question. In some places we stay more than one night because of atractions e. g. Briksdal near loen and in other places it is just the place I choose for the night e. g. Flam or lom. So, some of the places are between journies and other are Base of travel (eidfjord for odda and hardanger).

Did I answer your question?

Edited: 23 August 2014, 10:10
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,812 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fjords in April

Two full days will usually mean staying there for three nights; while two nights only offer one full day.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fjords in April

Now I understood ☺

In brackets are the number of nights, not the days.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fjords in April

It could happen in April that road 7 across Hardangervidda from Geilo to Eidfjord is closed by bad weather but it's unlikely and even then probably not for more than a few hours. You should bear in mind that most hotels in the fjord area will be closed in April. If you are going early April I would devote more time to skiing in Geilo and the Lillehammer area on the way back (Gala or Skeikampen) where skiing conditions should still be good, and less to the fjord area where the countryside will be to some extent rather drab before the vegetation has started to grow again.

Availability of accommodation won't be a problem, so I'd suggest you keep your plans flexible as far as possible and plan things as you go according to weather and snow conditions.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fjords in April

Thanks,

All my accomodations are already reserved. I cannot start wandering with my kids out of season looking for an open hotel.

So, if I understood correctly, I will be able to drive the no. 7 even if in worst care scenario there will be some delays...

But you don't think the fjords are worth seeing in that time of the year or did I misunderstood?

Thanks

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fjords in April

The fjords are worth seeing at that time, but there will be very few other tourists around or facilities open, and the scenery will not be at its best. It's not hard to find which hotels are open but there will be few options and it looks as it you have already done that. Availability is very unlikely to be a problem at that time and you can easily call ahead.

Early April is a great time to be in the mountains on skis.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 11:59
Level Contributor
5 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fjords in April

Thank you again,

My wife and smallest kids does not ski so taking one day is fair, but enough. I feel better without massive tourists busses and ships around me so that is not an isdue. And i found many interesting routes or activities so we would not do all possible in the summer, but they will not do all possible in the spring☺

Regarding the roads, do you have any insights for me?

Many Thanks,

Oren

Edited: 23 August 2014, 13:35
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fjords in April

Low level roads anywhere are unlikely to be affected by bad weather in April. High level roads through mountain areas like road 7 could be closed by snowstorms and it's almost certain there will be snow and ice on these roads - a rented car should have winter tyres fitted.

Some high level roads such as road 55 over Sognefjell, road 13 over Gaularfjell, Trollstigen and road 63 south of Geiranger will be closed until late May. I don't know for sure, but the last part of the road to Briksdal glacier may not be kept open at this time.

Only a very small number of places in the fjord area get filled up with tourist buses and cruise ships in summer, but unfortunately those places get the most attention and too many people think these are the only places worth seeing. There are vast areas of Norway and thousands of places equally wonderful but relatively unknown and much more enjoyable IMO without crowds of other people around.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 14:05
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fjords in April

Thank you very much again. I have evoided planning any road that will defenitly be closed like 55,off course. My main concern, if I understand correctly is route 7,but because it is a main road will it be stupid of me to essume that most efforts will be made to keep the road running?

Regarding places, Allthough i am baund by the rarrity of accomodations open off season, my guess is that loen and lom are not the most touristic destinations. Also, flam was a must because no accomodations was open in the area, but i plan or hope of seeing the canion in voss so it is just for the night stop. I don't really plan on going to the railway in flam.

The olden vally itself attracts me more than the glacier but your comment regarding the end of that road is most valueable and I'll see what i can dig for.

Maybe you have other interesting and possible destinations to reccomand taking into consideration the route specified in the opening post?

Thank you very much again and i cannot wait til easter☺