We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen - fyords - Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen - fyords - Oslo

Hi there,

I am planning to visit Norway next July with my wife and 15-yr-old son. I intend to fly from London to Bergen and then make a boat trip to the fyords and after that go by train from Bergen to Oslo where we will spend two days. Based upon these, I have some questions:

Is it possible to visit the fyords (I mean to have glimpse of them) in one day?

How much does it cost?

How often does the train go from Bergen to Oslo?

Is it expensive? (we are travelling on budget)

Any suggesntions will be highly appreciated.

Perhaps we should spend, at least, one night in Bergen. It looks so nice and inviting.

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Lillehammer, Norway
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen - fyords - Oslo

Hi!

Have a look at the Norway in a nutshell web, there might be something spot on for you there.

http://www.norwaynutshell.com

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen - fyords - Oslo

Hello.

Yes, having Bergen as a base, you will have more than a glimpse of a fjord in one day !

Depending on which fjord you want to see/visit, you can do day trips /half day trips from Bergen.

I.e. Bergen- Flam - Bergen is a full day trip taking you north along the west coast of Norway, into the world`s longest fjord Sognefjord, in the famous Aurlandsfjord to Flam and return the same way. Or you can go back to Bergen by ferry/bus.

Start as the first mentioned, but instead of going to Flam, go to Balestrand, change to ferry to Fjaerland, visit a glacier and return the same way.(www.fjord1.no)

Half day trip from Bergen to Hardangerfjord is also an option.

The Norway in a nutshell tour will show you both fjords, valley and mountain + the steep Flam railway.

Prices:Norway in a nutshell (roundtrip from Bergen)NOK 820, children up to 15 years 50%, children 0-4 free.

Bergen - Flam - Bergen NOK 780,- (adult)

More info :www.fjord1.no

The railway Bergen-Oslo line : trains run morning around 8a.m.+10.30 a.m. mid-day 4p.m. ( fridays also 3p.m.) and night train.

You can pay as little as NOK 199,- Oslo - Bergen if you book early.(nsb.no)

Grethe

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
The Flam Railway
The Flam Railway
3,437 Reviews
Flam, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
3. Re: Bergen - fyords - Oslo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 20:20