We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
202 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

Will be doing the NIAN late September

Bergen to Bergen, in one day.

Is this any difference which direction you go

I have seen two options to Voss first,

or to Mydral first, is one better than the other??

e.g. Places at certain time of day or length of stay in each place.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

Not a big difference.

Late september is autumn, so can be humid and chilly.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

For my money the best bet is out via Voss. This means you go down the hairpins at Stalheim which I think is better than going up (especially if you get a front seat).

Also when we have gone the timetable meant that the return from Myrdal was on an express, so we got a comfy seat at the end of the day when we were likely to go to sleep. Also return to Bergen was earlier than going out via Myrdal which meant we had most of the evening free. Of course times may be different for your trip.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

Wasleys-

How did you book? Did you book yourself when you were there or do ahead of time?

Thanks,

Casa

Fjord Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

You can purchase train tickets 90 days in advance to travel date on www.nsb.no.

You can make reservation for the boats involved by email to fylkesbaatane@fjord1.no. Some boats are not necessary to book in advance, but the passenger boat Gudvangen to Flam often gets busy, so you can make reservation in advance. Bus tickets are purchased on the bus from the driver.

If you have all the times of the different transportation, you can buy yourself and still make sure you can do it for a particular date.

You can also purchase a packet from

www.fjordtours.no. Depending on the train ticket you are able to purchase from www.nsb.no - it might be the same price or higher from Fjordtours.

Fjord Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

You can purchase train tickets 90 days in advance to travel date on www.nsb.no.

You can make reservation for the boats involved by email to fylkesbaatane@fjord1.no. Some boats are not necessary to book in advance, but the passenger boat Gudvangen to Flam often gets busy, so you can make reservation in advance. Bus tickets are purchased on the bus from the driver.

If you have all the times of the different transportation, you can buy yourself and still make sure you can do it for a particular date.

You can also purchase a packet at any time from

www.fjordtours.no. Depending on the train ticket you are able to purchase from www.nsb.no - it might be the same price or higher from Fjordtours.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

Casa,

There is no need to book in advance. We waited until we had seen the weather forecast and then booked the night before at the railway station. All NIN is a combined ticket for the different sections of ordinary public transport services. Depending on the service you choose you may need a reserved seat on one or both mainline trains between Bergen and Voss/Myrdal.

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

Thanks-I think might go ahead and book at least some since we are limited to the one day-no matter what the weather.

I have been trying to call-but cannot get through. I just talked to NSB to book another train and said Fjords Tours not open until April 14.

Thanks for all the advice TA friends!

Casa

8. Re: Norway in a Nutshell ( Bergen /Bergen )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 04:19