Too late for midnight sun mainland Norway for this year. Yu have to go to Svalbard(Spitsbergen) to see it in Norway in August. See other post with same name in this forum for the exact dates.
Where is Spitsbergen?
Spitsbergen is in the Arctic Sea.
For seeing the Midnight Sun at peak time you will have to go north of the Arctic Circle. An earlier post has put the dates for when you can see it:
The nights are still pretty short in the northern part of Norway (so you could still see the 11 o'clock-sun up there - but it's more than 2000 km north of Bergen) and if you really want to see the Midnight Sun and have enough time and money Svalbard (Spitsbergen) is one of the most amazing places on earth
You could go to Flåm by train, car, bus and boat
- Train almost NOK 1000,- return www.nsb.no (includes the famous Flåmsbana)
- "Norwat in a nutshell" - tourist round trip - almost NOK 1000,- return (includes the famous Flåmsbana) http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp
- Bus - almost NOK 600,- return …nor-way.no/nbeiis/…
- Express boat (Bergen-Sogn) - almost NOK 1000,- return http://www.fjord1.no/default.asp?page=283
- Rental car - a small car will cost you NOK 1300,- for a day (maybe rent-a-wreck will be cheaper) + petrol. Driving distance Bergen-Flåm is 2h 30min. You will miss Flåmsbana, but could do detours to even more beautiful places
Flåm is a very small place and the main thing to see there is the nature (fjord lanndscape)
http://www.alr.no/index.php?lang=en (the whole Aurland / Lærdal area)
http://www.visitflam.com/default.asp (Flåm area)
alr.no/images/…ny-arl-guide.engelsk.pdf (a web guide book)
http://www.fjordcountry.com/ (some pictures)
But there are a lot of "nature" activites you could join - like hiking, kajaking, boat trips, biking etc. http://www.fjordbui.no//travel/uk/.html (well it's pretty touristy, but I guess you are a tourist)
Some other pictures from this area (hiking without a guide is still free and if you have a car you could go to some of these places a lot cheaper)
Stegastein view point (by car - 20 minutes from Flåm - or organized trips) …dagbladet.no/pub/…aur960_1217415139.jpg
Stigen farm (hiking)http://www.fjordcruise.no/multimedia/kvalitet3/499.jpg
In my opinion Stegastein view point (or maybe even better view points further up in the mountain) and Nærøyfjorden is must do-things in this area.
-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-
This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html
We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.