We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in bergen what to do?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in bergen what to do?

we are booked onto a Fjordline crossing to bergen on the 5th November, with 24 hours in Bergen, does anyone have any suggestions for must-see's, places to eat and things to do?

also, does anyone know if there are any Chrsitmas markets trading yet?

Maine
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

You can read the guidebooks for all the usual tourist-y things to do, but one place I found very interesting and a bit off the beaten path was the Leprosy Museum. It is within walking distance of the Bryggen.

Everyone raves about the fish market but I was disappointed in it--then again, I live in Maine, so I guess fish markets aren't all that unusual for me!

If you can find the Bulgarian Restaurant (that is what it was called)--tucked away on a side street, not far from the Bryggen (sorry, I didn't save the exact address) consider going there for dinner. We had a great meal and it was one of our best bargains on our whole trip--500 kr for 2, including a bottle of wine. And the food was delicious! LHN

Halden. Norway
Level Contributor
60 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

Check out http://www.visitbergen.com/

As a general rule, the weather decides what you should do. If weather is fine or not too rainy and windy, take the funicular to Floyen and enjoy the views, stroll around the cosy centre, drop by a few museums (many close early in the afternoon). The city-centre is quite compact, and attractions are seldom far away. Eating is no problems, the city is full of good places.

Auburn, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

You shouldn't miss the Hanseatic (my spelling may be off) Museum on the waterfront in Bergen. It is pretty touristy but worth your time. There are two cathedrals right in that area that are interesting also.

Auburn, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

You will be docking right in the touristy part of Bergen. The

Hansiatic (my spelling is probably not correct) Museum is there and you should not miss that. There are guided tours in English. There are lots of restaurants in the area, also.

Be sure to spend some time just walking - there is a beautiful park very near the pier area.

Enjoy your time there!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

I love Bergen. This may help:

…mac.com/wasleys/norwaytext/04bergen.html

Houston, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in bergen what to do?

Thanks so much for this site! Very helpful and the pics are awesome!