We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen-Stavanger Drive

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen-Stavanger Drive

We are planning, for May 2010, a round trip drive from Oslo via Geilo, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand. The only part that worries me is the drive from Bergen to Stavanger. Autoroute gives me a best route down the E39 but this seems to include about 3 ferries. Is this the best route and can anyone help with web links for ferry details. We have a full day for this drive so any suggestions for sights along the way to visit would be appreciated.

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen-Stavanger Drive

That is a wonderfull trip. E39 from Bergen to Stavanger is a nice drive. I would have made a stop on Karmøy, Skudneshavn, just south of Haugesund.

You need to take to ferries, one from Halhjem to Sandvikvåg (duration 40min), and one from Årsvågen to Mortavika (dur. 22min).

Here is a link for the ferries www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp…

Larvik, Norway
Level Contributor
397 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen-Stavanger Drive

Hi,

No. 44 from Stavanger along the coast is beautiful, and there is a lot of small towns along the road. Kristiansand for shopping, and Lillesand and Brekkestø (just outside Lillesand) for small charming places.

For sightseeing you can visit Lindesnes lighthouse, the point which is most south in Norway. And Prekestolen www.norway.com/directories/d_company.asp…

Regarding the drive from Oslo to Geilo. Which is the most scenic road, the 7 thru Noresund or the 40 thru Uvdal I am not quite sure. Both are nice, maybe some other have an opinion here?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen-Stavanger Drive

The drive from Bergen to Stavanger on E39 is no problem. In fact I was driving from Stavanger to Bergen on E39 today and i drive this route a lot. As FunItaly pointed out there are only two ferries. These are car ferries and in May you will have panorama view of the beatiful scenery on the passenger deck. The drive takes 4 -5 hours including ferries.

If you take the detour to Skudeneshavn as FunItaly suggested then you should take the ferry from Skudeneshavn to Mekjarvik and not the ferry from Arsvågen to Mortavika. http://www.tide.no/Default.aspx?pageid=1182

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,783 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen-Stavanger Drive

As previous posters point out the E39 is an easy drive, including nice detours.

Don't worry about the ferries, the E39 brings you right to the dock where you wait some minutes for the next departure.

5. Re: Bergen-Stavanger Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2010, 05:16