We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May Vacation in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York
1 post
Save Topic
May Vacation in Norway

I live in the US and i'm looking into booking a trip to Norway towards end of may through first week in June. I don't know much about it, other than what I see on the internet, so any advice would be appreciated...

We will fly in and out of oslo and we will have a week to explore. We plan to stay in oslo for a night and go to bergen as well to view the fjords. With our timeframe, will this keep us busy or are there any other destinations that anyone can recommend? We don't mind spending money on this trip, however we are not on an unlimted budget.

Is it recommended to rent a car within the fjords? and if so, is it easy to get around?

I also hear that norway is quite expensive. can someone let me know what an average hotel would cost and an average meal at a restaurant?

Any advice, tips, or suggestions will help.

Thanks in advance

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May Vacation in Norway

Hi Scott,

and welcome to the forum.

When you only have one week to explore and you are flying in and out from Oslo you hardly will have time to do what you already have suggested.

The fjords are long, mountainous and in parts very hard to navigate if you are not used to narrow hairpin roads. The best way to see them within your timeframe would either to have the Norway In A Nutshell journey from Oslo and return:

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp

or have a flight to and from Bergen from Oslo and use Bergen as your base for 2-3 nights - having day excursions:

http://www.visitbergen.com/en/

For prices in hotels look up the accomodation option on the website mentioned for Bergen to get an idea. You will find links there for the hotels own websites, and look up what fits with your requirements (sea view, central, 4 or 5 star etc.). In the same way yuou can look up restaurants, find links to their home sites - which usually also will show the menu.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 10:42
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May Vacation in Norway

It's easy to go around fjords by car (be prepared for ferries though), but some sightseeing by passenger boat only. You can use public transport in the fjord area (boat and bus, plus train), but not so flexible in terms of time and place to go.

A week is nice, 1-2 days for Oslo, 1-2 days for Bergen, and time for detours around fjords. May-June is a perfect time to go around the fjords.

Bergen
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May Vacation in Norway

I second on Norway in a Nutshell considering that your stay is that short. The original with Flaamsbanen or the big one with Flaamsbanen and Lysefjorden.

In my opinion May is the best time for this trip. There will still be snow in the mountains and the low areas will be green enough to make an Irishman forget his home.

Here is a video of NiN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Wjm6PFHv0

If your main target is the fjords you shod considered a flight directly to Bergen, via Amsterdam, Frankfurt or London.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 21:16
Oslo
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May Vacation in Norway

I agree with OsloViking. If you like driving - a rental car will be perfect. It's pretty easy to get around with a GPS or a good map) - some of the roads are narrow, but it's not a problem if you're not driving too fast. "Norway in a nuthsell" is probably the best public transport-option, but you will have more freedom with your own car - and you could go to several interesting places. You can do a lot in a week.

Three car rental options:

- You could rent a car in Oslo and drive via the fjords to Bergen and back to Oslo

- You could do "Norway in a Nutshell" on your way between Oslo and Bergen and then rent a car for a day or two in Bergen - to explore more of the fjord landscape

- You could take a flight to Bergen and rent a car there.

If you're renting a car just let us know and we could give you some good advices about where to go.

May-June is definitely a good time to go. In my opinion the Norwegian nature is on its most beautyful in the first two weeks of June.

Hotel prices: I guess NOK 1000-1200 (USD 170-200) will be average for a double room in the fjord area. In the cities you will probably get a room from NOK 700-800 (USD 120-135). But there are cheaper options - if you're satisfied with a hostel or a cabin.

5. Re: May Vacation in Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:17