We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Norway in a Nutshell Overnight

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
105 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Norway in a Nutshell Overnight

You are probably getting tired of these questions but it's not all that easy to figure out and I have looked at an awful lot of posts so come here for guidance.

Mid August 2011. We will land in Bergen from San Francisco. And spend the night (exhausted). Plus also we will stay the following day and night in Bergen. And then we want to go on a Norway in a Nutshell excursion, including an overnight on the first day of the excursion, and end up in Oslo on the second day. What's the best itinerary? With the most Fjord cruising (on the first day I would imagine)? And the best place to spend the night? To me, from what I have read, it looks like Sognefjord in a nutshell and spending the night in Balestrand. FYI, we are not hikers, not kayakers. We love cities, cafes and shopping. But this is our SCAN trip and this is a must see.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,301 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Norway in a Nutshell Overnight

Balestrand or Flåm would be good places to stay. Maybe Flåm as you need to get on the train from there to get yourself back to Oslo and Balestrand is across the fjord and maybe not so convenient. Depends on the ferry schedule from Balestrand to Flåm - does it correspond with the Flåm railway and the connection at Myrdal for the Oslo train ?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Norway in a Nutshell Overnight

Flåm and Balestrand are small (tiny) villages. Voss is a small town. Oslo and Bergen are the only cities on this route.

Flåm and Balestrand are on the shores of the great fjord, Voss is at a nice lowland lake. For something different consider a night on the mountain plateau near the glacier at Finse (only by train).

http://www.finse1222.no/

…googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/…

…webshots.com/7/1/16/60/85511660MnUeNP_fs.jpg

3. Re: Help with Norway in a Nutshell Overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:17