We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
brisbane
Level Contributor
34 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

We are planning to do the norway in a nutshell trip from Bergen to Oslo with one nights stop in early May this year.

I am finding it thoroughly confusing trying to work out how to do this.

Do we need to prebook the Norway in a Nutshell trip.

What is the best way to do this trip from Bergen to Oslo.

Where is the best place to stay overnight (scenery wise)

and what time are we likely to get in to Oslo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

Hi I am doing the Norway in a Nutshell trip right now although in the opposite direction than your plans. I can recommend the Thon Opera Hotel adjacent to the Oslo Central Station it is within walking distance and of a great standard. Right now I am staying at Fleischers Hotel in Voss also within walking distance of the train station. I would suggest doing an overnight stop as it is a ling trip if you do it in a day and it will likely be dark at the end of the day and you will miss the scenery!

I am due to travl the last leg of the train journey this afternoon so may be able to shed some light on additional info for you.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo Central Station
Oslo Central Station
267 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
Voss
Voss
50 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

If you only take Oslo - Bergen you really miss the best. Take a look at this site: norwaynutshell.com/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,954 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

NiN involves several legs of transport that you can do either direction.

From Bergen to Oslo:

Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flåm-Myrdal-Oslo

Mentioned in this post
Voss
Voss
50 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
brisbane
Level Contributor
34 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

Thanks for your help. RachelObGeelong I would love to hear how you did the trip and if Voss if a good place to stay.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Voss
Voss
50 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

Hi no worries. Voss is a lovely little town and you can certainly spend a few hrs there in the morning while you wait for the next train. There are some outdoor stores, little cafes, souveniers, grocery store and not to mention a donut van which you must try right in the middle of the town square. There is also a beautiful church which was built in the 14th century (i think) the lake is lovely and you can do a bit of a walk, the ski fields are right above the town too. Voss to me seems the most logical place to stay. Even though you can get off the Flam at its various stops there is really nothing there as far as accomodation you could do some explorin then wait for the next train.

We caught the bus to Bergen as the train line is currently undergoing maintenence. The bus ride was great excellent scenery and amazing tunnels! Bus ride is about an 1hr 20 min (same as train really)

Bergen is lovely and i think you could spend a few days here no problems. I am staying at the Hotel Augustin which is a little old but clean lovely staff it is handy to the Hurtigruten terminal so I was able to walk here from train station and to the ship terminal the following day.

Not sure where you are from but Norway is expensive, I heard this before I travelled and thought that I was prepared but I was not. You just have toi forget about whatever the exchange rate you are getting and just enjoy, think of it as a scenery tax!

Mentioned in this post
Voss
Voss
50 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Augustin Hotel
Augustin Hotel
764 Reviews
Bergen, Norway
brisbane
Level Contributor
34 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

Hi thanks for the information. We are from Brisbane. Yes we have read about how expensive Norway is, I guess it will still shock us! I think we will stay in Voss for the night.

Thanks again for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Voss
Voss
50 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,954 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

The best things in Norway are free of charge.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
8. Re: bergen to oslo doing the norway in a nutshell trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:41