We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chocolates ok

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
chocolates ok

I checked the posts, but didn't find this one. Would it be ok if I brought a few boxes of chocolates to my family in Norway? There seem to be a lot of rules about alcohol, but what about other things? Also, If I do, would it be better to carry it on, or put it in my luggage?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
696 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: chocolates ok

Chocolate is fine (unless you plan to import tons of it - then you will have to pay customs and VAT)

I would have put it in my luggage, but I think either is fine

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,531 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chocolates ok

You can bring alcohol too as long as you stick to the limit.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,995 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chocolates ok

I think 1 kg for chocolate and other "sugar products".

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,282 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chocolates ok

Here is the customs rules for travellers: toll.no/templates_TAD/Article.aspx…

There doesn't seem to be any restriction on sugar any more, just should be within the total allowance of NOK 6000.

Acton, MA
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chocolates ok

Thank you all. At least one of my relatives would prefer alcohol, but I'm thinking it'd be a problem taking it in my suitcase.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,282 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chocolates ok

You can buy duty free on arrival at the airport, saves carrying or packing and still a very good deal by Norwegian prices: http://www.vinmonopolet.no

It's considered almost a crime to arrive in Norway and not take advantage of the duty free allowance - especially when you are visiting friends or relatives :-)

Edited: 27 May 2013, 18:45
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chocolates ok

You can check the alcohol-prices on arrival at www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/welcome-norway. Prices in the states will be somewhat lower than Norwegian tax-free.

No problems in bringing alcohol in checked luggage. Wrap it in bubble wrap (or clothing) and tie a plastic bag around in just in case the bottle breaks. Done it with thousands of bottles (mainly bottles of whisky from Scotland - personal record is 11 bottles in one suitcase, of course declared on arrival in Norway) up through the years and have never had an accident.

Remember Norway has a 60% abv (120 proof) limit on spirits, do not bring anything stronger than that, it might get very expensive.

8. Re: chocolates ok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 05:16