We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way Nutshell tour - which way?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
One way Nutshell tour - which way?

I would like to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour one way. Is it better to go from Oslo to Bergen, or Bergen to Oslo? Is the experience any different depending on the direction?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

It would be exactly the same experience. From Bergen you will do the fjord part early in the day, from Oslo late in the day.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Check the timetables - there is a little more flexibility from Oslo and you arrive earlier in Bergen. Travelling from Bergen you arrive in Oslo 22:45. However an advantage Bergen-Oslo is that the long train journey is at the end of the trip and you could doze.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Thank you so much for your feedback. It really helped!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Also can anyone tell me Is it better to do trip from oslo ...as first train to myradal takes 5 hrs atleast ..or do the trip as a day trip from bergen only and not to oslo for norway in nutshell tour ..Is the landscape superb from oslo to myradal ...actually I have to decide where should I land oslo or bergen ...although I have read bergen train offers a superb experience ..but still more recommendations are needed ...

Edited: 12 July 2013, 12:57
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Perhaps you can fly into Bergen and out of Oslo and do the train between the two.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

The most spectacular scenery on the Oslo to Bergen rail line is during the journey between Geilo and Myrdal but this isn't included in the NiN route as a round trip from Bergen. It is possible though to take the train from Bergen to Geilo, then take the next one back to Myrdal and continue the NiN route from there via Flam and Gudvangen which is all very spectacular scenery. So, unless you want to visit Oslo, I'd suggest you start and finish in Bergen.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Hmm If I will land is oslo and wanna do trip from oslo to bergen , there would be problem with luggage , although I read there is porter service ..but will they be dropping at some station our luggage or at apartment or cabin we have booked

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

why is there a problem with luggage - are you not able to carry it yourself?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

Yes, you can use Porterservice if you wish between Oslo and Bergen. They drop at your destination as long as there is someone to sign for the receipt of your luggage. If you rent some private apartment you must make sure that your host can be there and receive your luggage. For further questions I suggest you contact the company directly.

http://www.porterservice.no/

Edited: 12 July 2013, 17:52
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,972 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One way Nutshell tour - which way?

One cannot buy single tickets for the Flåm Railway online, but it is fully possible to buy a through ticket Oslo-Flåm for example.