We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

Hi! I've been planning this trip for a few months now. I will traveling to Sweden, Denmark and Norway. I am flying to Bergen from Copenhagen and will be in Bergen for 3 nights (3 full days and a bit on the 4th). I am after the views of course!

My itinerary is:

1. Spend 1 full day in Bergen, taking advantage of long summer days

2. Day trip = Hardangerfjord area

3. Day trip = Sognefjord area

Big question: i do not intend to hire a private car. I want to experience Norway's natural beauty but my research did not produce much on how to do it without a car aside from Norway in Nutshell tours which appear to be a rushed way of seeing things. What's your opinion?

I have read about Ulvik, Voss, Stalheim Hotel etc. Should i buy tickets separately to these or give NIN a try?

Thanks!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

I assume you already have your accomodation booked?

I think the Norway in a Nutshell tours are excellent. Don't think you will feel rushed once you take the tours. Honestly it is the best way to see the scenery Norway is famous for in one day.

The NiN tours are optimized in terms of scenery and transportation, the short connection times are there prevent you from wasting your time while waiting for the next means of transportation.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 20:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

Hi. Yes, hotel is prebooked for 3 nights in bergen. I really wanted to do hiking and get to the top of the mountains to see the fjords, nut looks like one cant do this as a day trip. Any particular recommendations?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

Well, with the distances and traveling times involved, including hiking is not feasible during the NiN day trips.

You can hike in the mountains around Bergen. There are suggestions on the the tourist web site I gave you the link to.

Please understand you have very limited time in Norway. When staying in Bergen the NiN tours and exploring what Bergen has to offer are really the best things to do.

I don't know what else to tell you, unless you change your plans.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 22:15
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

What would you recommend if i got 2 days to spare - Norway in a Nutshell or Hardangerfjord in a Nutshell? Must sees for me are Stalheim Hotel, Fjords, Waterfalls, a Cruise. Should i take both ($300 US) or just one of them is enough. What about Glacier walks? Is it recommended? I've done a small one in Iceland but again looking for pretty scenery.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

The only way you would be able to do a glacier walk is to spend 1 day traveling to or near one of the glaciers, spend the better part of the day doing the glacier walk, spend one traveling back to Bergen. That is the 3 days you have available. The Nigardsbreen is probably the best option www.jostedal.com

Pick the NiN tour that appeals to you the most. It sounds like it is the original one which included the drive down the Stalheim hairpin road since you mention Stalheim Hotel. Although I'm not sure if the bus stop long enough for you the see the hotel. Perhaps consider staying there for 1 night?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

Thanks. Actually fjord tours offer Folgefonna Glacier walking trip

fjordtours.com/en/…

not sure if it's worth the money...

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

Ah my mistake forgetting the Folgefonna option.

Go for it if you are interested! Just remember to bring layers of clothing as it gets cold on the glacier.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

The NiN bus only stops at Stalheim Hotel to let passengers on/off the bus. If you want to linger, you need to take the next bus onwards to Voss.

9. Re: Struggling with Norway Itinerary - Leaving in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:18