We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

I will arrive in Bergen on July 17, stay there for 2 nights, go to Balestrand on July 20, stay there for 6 nights. I fly out of Bergen on August 3. This is all booked. So, I have 8 days to play with. I would like to spend some of them in Lofoten, but I think only 2 nights. I'd fly into Svolvaer, spend that night, have the next full day there, and fly out of Svolvaer the next day. Is this enough time in Lofoten? I really just want to see it and do a boat/rib ride in the Trollfjord.

As others have commented, logistics in Norway are extremely difficult to figure out and navigate, so I'm at a loss as to how to deal with my remaining days. Should I go back to Bergen from Balestrand and fly from there to Svolvaer? And fly back to Bergen from Svolvaer? If I go from Balestrand to Bergen on the 26th, and from Bergen to Lofoten on the 27th, and from Lofoten back to Bergen on the 28th, that would leave me 5 full days, which is not that much considering that you need a full day to get anywhere, really, and then a full day to get back. I was thinking about going to Oye, Norangsfjorden and trekking up Mt. Slogen, but don't know if it would be worth the trip, and I'd probably have to stay at the very expensive Hotel Union Oye for 3 nights. Or I was thinking of doing the same with Mt. Eggenipa in Sandane, but also don't know if it would be worth it (another 3 nights).

Or I could take a 4 or 5 day Hurtigruten.

One of these:

"Fjords, the Lofoten Islands and Paris of the North; Bergen – Tromsø, 5 days

Experience the spectacular fjords, the beautiful coast of Helgeland and a RIB boat safari in Lofoten. Enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and delicious food. "

OR

"Lively Tromsø, the Lofoten Islands and the Magnificent Coast; Tromsø – Bergen, 4 days

On this four days journey you will see the beautiful Lofoten Islands, the mythical coast of Helgeland, the Atlantic Road and the UNESCO listed Vega Islands."

(visitnorway.com/en/…)

This would require me to take a flight between Bergen and Tromso.

What do you think of these cruises? Would I have enough time to see Lofoten on both of them, or only the 5-day one, which mentions a rib safari there?

Any and all suggestions on how to spend the remaining days after Balestrand would be appreciated! (At this point I'm even thinking of going to another country, but I'd have to go back to Bergen to get my flight back home.)

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

Here is a link to the OP's original post where lots of advice have been provided. Linking so that contributors get the full context to avoid repetitions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g616211-i14830-k66…

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

Thank you, Pippi2. Contributors, please be advised that the new post contains different questions from the original post. One important point not mentioned in new post: I will not have a car and will rely on public transportation.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 05:13
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

Lofoten is hard to explore without a car and IMO not worth going there for just a couple of nights. From Balestrand you could easily continue by express bus to Sandane (Gloppen Hotel), then Norangsdalen (Union Oye Hotel) and then on to Alesund for the last nights before a direct flight down to Bergen to connect with your flight home. Wonderful scenery all the way through and some final nights in a very attractive and interesting town. The Union Oye is expensive but well worth it and you don't need more than two nights. The extra cost of this will be more than offset by what you will save in travel costs compared to doing something more complicated.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

Repeated from other forum:

I have decided to complete my Norway vacation, post Balestrand, by taking the boat back to Bergen, from there flying to Lofoten (Svolvaer), from there flying to Alesund, from there either taking the bus or flying back to Bergen (probably the bus). (This is actually no more expensive, maybe cheaper, and easier than the other options I was considering.)

Thank you Trip Advisors for your input.

5. Re: Advice for days between Sognefjord and Lofoten and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 05:17