We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Hello,

My GF and I will be in Bergen from 9/10/13 to 9/15/13 and would love to visit the Folgefonna glacier. We've never seen a glacier before and would love to be able to see one up close. However I do have a couple questions about this plan:

1) What part of the Folgefonna glacier is most spectacular? Would it be easily accessible?

2) We'll be renting a car, will the roads be open mid-September? Are chains required?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide us!! :)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

The Norwegian nature never closes, certain roads are closed in Winter and driving conditions can be difficult in late Autumn, Winter and early Spring in certain parts.

Mid September is rare for snow and difficult driving conditions.

folgefonni-breforarlag.no/UK/…juklavass.htm

BTW, I flew over Folgefonna yesterday during my flight from Oslo to Bergen. Quite spectacluar I would say. Jondal and Folgefonna Summer Ski seems to be the departure point for the hikes.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 16:20
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Even at mid winter Norwegians rarely use chains, instead we use nordic type winter tyres.

The main glacier itself is difficult to see (except from airplane) as it sits on a high plateau. You can see the main glacier from a distance, then it looks like cream on a cake. The spectacular parts are usually the arms stretching into the the valleys below, on these arms snow dissappear during summer and the "blue ice" can be seen.

Bondhusbreen at Mauranger is perhaps the most available (the lake on the photo is only 200 meters above sea)

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Bondhusbreen14.jpg

Keep in mind that glaciers are dangerous. Hiking only with a guide!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Thank you so much for the information klimaflyktning and OsloViking!

We will be flying from Stockholm to Bergen, and Bergen to Stavanger near the end of our trip, so hopefully we will be able to glimpse the Folgefonna Glacier from above on one of those flights :) I also sent an email to that tour group to see if they offer guided tours in mid-September, I think it would be a great experience.

OsloViking that is exactly the information I was hoping for! What you said makes a lot of sense, we will plan to see the Bondhusbreen then. It looks like the hike up to the lake nearby is fairly easy. Do you know if it's possible to hike from the lake to the arm of the glacier to see it up close? We don't plan to hike on top of the glacier, but would like to get as close as possible.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

I have been there many years ago, but from OV's photo it seems the glacier has shrunk quite a bit. The hike from the road to the lake is very easy, onwards along the lake is possible, but a bit more rugged and I am not sure how long that will take. I suggest you ask at the tourist office in Rosendal. In general it is dangerous to get too close to a glacier - big chunks of ice break off from time to time.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Is there tour to Bondhusbreen in early Oct ? Is that easy for hiking ?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

There are no tours to Bondhusbréen any time of year. You simply go by car to Mauranger, find the parking and hike from there.

The only tour is listed in reply #1 above + FjordTours has an adventure tour option

fjordtours.com/en/…

Edited: 22 July 2013, 08:00
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

The Buar glacier above Odda is almost as easy to reach with a car as Bondhusbreen (the new road tunnel from Jondal is very useful to reach both places). I don't know how the glaciers or hikes compare though. The Buar glacier was a big attraction for the first tourists to Norway in the 19th century but not very well known now.

Walking in the mountains in October is definitely not recommended for inexperienced hikers. Bad and very changeable weather is likely including snow storms high up and daylight hours will be rapidly getting shorter. Also very unlikely that there will be anyone else around.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

As far as I can remember, Bondhusbreen is not located very far up.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Thanks guys! We'll have a car for 2 days, and we're also planning on hiking Trolltunga one day, so we'll check out the Buar glacier as well since it's so close.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Folgefonna Glacier Open Mid-September?

Hopefully you are experienced hikers. If not, I suggest you study closely the advise given by norsc above.