We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Me and my husband are planning on our first trip to Norway with the following itinerary

Day1:31st Aug

- Early Morning flight from London to Bergen (Arrival in Bergen at 10:30am)

- Bergen local. Take ferry to Stavanger in the evening (at 16:05hrs). Night at Stavanger

Day2:1st Sept

- Hike to Pulpit Rock. Overnight train from Stavanger-Oslo (departs at 22:40hrs from Stavanger)

Day3:2nd Sept

- Oslo local. Take evening cruise to Copenhagen (Departs:16:30hrs,Arrives next day at 09:45am)

Day4:3rd Sept

- Copenhagen local. Night stay at Copenhagen

Day5:4th Sept

- Copenhagen local. Evening cruise back to Oslo (Departs:16:30hrs,Arrives next day at 09:45am)

Day6:5th Sept

- Oslo local. Night at Oslo

Day7:6th Sept

- Oslo-Flam morning 08:05am train. Night at Flam

Day8:7th Sept

- Flam-Bergen (Ferry,Bus and train from Voss to Bergen). Night at Bergen

Day9:8th Sept

- Evening flight to London (Departs at 18:15hrs)

Questions:

1. Is the Oslo-Copenhagen (and reverse) cruise worth doing 2 times (onward and return)?

2. Is there any faster way to reach Oslo from Copenhagen, other than this 17hr cruise

3. As per this itinerary, we will be spending half day in Bergen the first day and then on the last day we will get time till we goto airport to fly back. Is this time enough to see Bergen?

4. The idea of 1 night train and 2 nights on ship is that we will save good amount of money on hotels for 3 nights. Are we thinking right?

5. Does the overall itinerary look too tight?

6. Any suggestions for change in this itinerary?

I cant perceive how far the places will be. From my initial research I could only say the public transport is not very frequent.

I appreciate all your help in tuning this itinerary for a enjoyable holiday without too much rushing. I understand Norway is a spectacular place and want to get a taste of all its beauty in this first trip of ours.

Thanks

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

1. I would only take the ferry once, the journey is not that special in my opinion.

2. Yes, you can fly with either www.sas.no or the perfectly fine low-cost airline www.norwegian.com

3. It depends on what you plan on seeing while in Bergen, but generally I think this is fine.

4. Depends on the cost, but traveling while sleeping is never a bad idea. I would still only take the ferry once though.

5. I think the itinerary looks OK, but too much traveling around in my personal humble opinion. Different people have different travel styles, so this may be perfect for you :-)

6. I would have skipped Copenhagen for this trip, visit some other time when you can fly directly there. You hardly have any time to enjoy Denmark's capital and you spend most of your time onboard a ferry. The extra time you have can be used to enjoy what Oslo and the Western Fjords have to offer as you seem to be just rushing through like on day 2 for example.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:27
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Your itinerary involves visiting Bergen and Oslo twice and some backtracking, not a good use of time. Time-economic itineraries go from A to B to C to D, in this case fly in to Stavanger, travel Stavanger-Bergen-Oslo-Copenhagen, fly home from Copenhagen.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

I'm guessing the flight tickets are already booked...If not I agree with iverh.

Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Iverh, Pippi2 is right. We booked the flights from London-Bergen and return because we got a very good deal from easyjet(Only £90 two way for two people). I should admit that we were kind of swayed with this deal and it has resulted in lot of working back.

1. As suggested, I will look to see if we can omit Copenhagen. Our thought was to cover more places. But I thought of getting your advice because I had no idea about distances. But if I still want to keep Copenhagen in the plan and take cruise one way only (Oslo-Copenhagen and fly back to Oslo), is it still good?

2. For public transport, is it economical to buy passes or pay as you go? Can the passes be used on buses and ferries as well?

3. Will it be too cold during this time? Is heavy winter clothing required? Is it a rainy season?

4. Hike to Pulpit Rock I read as medium level. Is it mandatory to have hiking shoes or just running shoes will do?

Thanks all for sparing time to answer my questions.

Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Sorry guys, one more question. If I leave out Copenhagen, what other places can I visit?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Oslo, Bergen and Stavanger should be plenty for only 8 days.

Except for the Norway in a Nutshell packages, there are no travel passes covering a multitude of transports. It is economical to buy the train tickets in advance for the discounted minipris tickets on long distance trains like Oslo-Bergen and Oslo-Stavanger.

Temperatures are hard to predict, depends if the autumn arrives early this year. It is definitely the rainy season and some days may be less than ideal for hiking. Check statistics at www.yr.no

Running shoes are not good enough for hiking Pulpit Rock. You need sturdy, waterproof hiking shoes with good grip soles. It can be wet and slippery underfoot,.

A useful trip report

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190511-i2080-k671…

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Agree with Klima. The point about leaving out Copenhagen is to spend more time in the places you have planned to visit in Norway instead of rushing around like your original plan.

www.visitbergen.com/en

www.visitstavanger.com/en

www.visitoslo.com/en

I'm not sure where you are from as you have not included that information in your profile, but it is not winter in September it is autumn. We have the same seasons as the UK and unpredictable weather all year around.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 11:09
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Thanks for your input. Pippi2, we are traveling from London. Based on your suggestions, we are dropping Copenhagen off this trip. Here is the revised itinerary. Please suggest the must see places and tours that can be included in this trip.

Day 1: London-Bergen (Arrive 10:35am). Stay at Bergen

- Is it possible to do the Nigardsbreen Blue Ice Hike on this day?

Day 2: Evening to Stavanger (Either 8am or 16:05hrs ferry from Bergen). Stay at Stavanger

-Suggestions to spend morning in Bergen

Day 3: Hike to Pulpit Rock. Stay at Stavanger

Day 4: Night train to Oslo.

Day 5: Oslo Local. Stay at Oslo

Day 6 : Train to Flam early morning (Reaching Flam at 14:25). Stay at Flam

- Suggestions for sightseeing in Flam

Day 7: Flam Local. Stay at Flam

Day 8: Flam to Bergen. Stay at Bergen

Day 9: Bergen Local. Flight to London at 18:15hrs

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Given your plans it would make more sense to fly into Stavanger and out from Bergen or Oslo to avoid backtracking. Have you had a look at a map at all or calculated any distances ?

Like Flåm. Nigardsbreen is located in the Sognefjord area and you should try to do the glacier while there. The bus departure is from Sogndal in the morning and it would be best to spend the night before the hike in Sogndal. You need to allocate a full day for this adventure.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 nights Norway-Copenhagen trip:Queries on 1st itinerary

Running shoes are absolutely fine for hiking Pulpit Rock, provided they have some grip on the sole (i.e. marketed as trail shoes in the UK or much better are fell-running shoes with rubber studs). It's mostly forest paths, stony tracks and clean rock. You'll get wet feet if it rains but if that doesn't bother you it's not a problem.