We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

Hi,

I need to get the 1630 ferry tomorrow at Kristiansand to Denmark. Currently in Bergen. There are 2 routes, via the E39 or the E134. Based on experience what is the fastest route?

Tomtom and google maps and some other navigation sites all give different routes and different traveltimes....

The E39 has some ferries that can be tricky right? If the ferry just left..

Thanks

Ronald

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

Tricky with ferries? No, not at all. Ferries are a part of the road system and for your routhorny run frequently and give you a nice break from the driving.

Not sure which one is the fastest, maybe someone else has input here.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 09:24
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

Typo should be: for your route the ferries run frequently.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

Quickest route almost certainly Bergen, Norheimsund, ferry Torvikbygd to Jondal, new tunnels to Odda (toll), Haukeli and down through Setesdal. Google Maps shows this as first option and gives 7,5 hours but I'd allow at least an hour more than this to enjoy it. It's a wonderful scenic drive all the way. Very few towns and mostly good straight roads after Odda so you may find yourself straying a little over the speed limit, so watch out for the cameras and police speed traps near towns.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 10:06
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

You need to count 8,5-9 hrs. for both route options. I'd choose the most scenic route with less traffic as described by Norsc. Be aware that the ferry Tørvikbygd-Jondal runs less frequently than the ferries on E39, you need to time your driving to the ferry departures. To reach Kristiansand by 1600 you need to catch the ferry at 0840 and start driving from Bergen before 0700. norled.no/uploads/documents/Ferjeruter/2013_…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

I took the E39. We left at 0730 in Bergen (south) and arrived at 1545 in Kristiansand. So in total 8.15 hours. This included 2 ferries (we mist the first one so we had to wait for 30 min) and 2 or 3 quick stops and one lunch break. The ferries are nice for a break and breakfast/coffee.

We had no major delays and we had my girlfriend also drove for approx 2 hours. Thanks for all the advices and according to my Sygic satnav this would have been a trip of 6 hours....

6. Re: Bergen to Kristiansand; what is the fastest route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:39