We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fonicular Floibanen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Fonicular Floibanen

Just a quick question, Is the Fonicular Floibanen open all year round. Will hopefully be in Bergen in February.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Yes it is open all year and every day of the week - it also serves as a local "bus" for those living up the hillside and for hikers and skiers if the conditions are right.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Hi,

The Fløibanen funicular is basically running every day of the year, even during Christmas.

Regards,

Bergen Tourist Information

Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Which time of the day offers better view on top Mt Floyen? I plan to go at 9pm on the day I arrive, is it advisable or I should wait until the next day go in the day time?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Depending on when in February you're coming the sun will set between 5pm (start of the month) and 6pm (end of the month). So if you want to see the view after dark do go upon arrival, else wait until the next day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

I will arrive early Mar next year

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,373 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Sunrise and sunset

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Best time also depends on the weather and the forecast.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 14:38
Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Thanks for the advice

Sheffield, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Quick related question:

The Cablecar up Ulriken is closed until the 3rd Jan. I wandered about doing the Vidden Trail at this time of year, and if the cablecar is not running, can we get up the mountain in a taxi (and how much)?

Obviously if it is really bad weather we wouldn't do it, but I am an optomist and have my fingers crossed for light crisp snow, and lovely warm glow from the sun...

Thanks,

Mark

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

There is no road to top of Ulriken (hence the cable car or more precisely a gondola aerial lift).

In good conditions you can of course walk "Vidden" in January, but my guess is that snow, wind or heavy rain will make it a tough hike. Don't expect the sun to warm. In any case you need sturdy hiking boots and warm/water resistant clothing. My advice is to consider a hike up the hills to Fløyen (or use the funicular), then walk as far as you feel like on nice paths there, then return.

bergenbyarkiv.no/bergenbyleksikon/…023028.jpg

…panoramio.com/photos/large/97260512.jpg

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fonicular Floibanen

Hello,

OsloViking's advice is definitely worth noticing - walking up the Ulriken mountain and across Vidden in winter is quite tough! You need very good clothing and shoes, and you need to move fast as the days are short!

There are plenty of roads and footpaths on the Fløyen mountain. In winter it's better to go there for hiking, as it's closer to the city, lower altitude and less demanding.

Best regards,

Bergen Tourist Information