We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

I am travelling from Oslo to Bergen via the Bergen railway however would also like to experience the Flam Railway.

If I buy an Oslo - Bergen ticket online can I just hop off the train and then hop back on a later train after visiting Flam, or would I need to buy separate tickets for each leg of the journey?

Many Thanks

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

You will need to buy separate tickets. You can book Oslo-Flåm and Flåm-Bergen on www.nsb.no However buying the round trip ticket Myrdal - Flåm - Myrdal through the Flåm Railway will save you some money, so then it may be better to book Oslo-Myrdal and Myrdal-Bergen on NSB.

http://www.visitflam.com/flam-railway/prices/

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Excellent, thanks for the advice :)

I've just had a look at the Flam weblink that you mentioned and it says that individuals cannot book in advance. I will be visiting in early June, will I be able to buy a ticket quite easily from Myrdal station when I arrive or is it likely to be fully booked?

Do you think it would it be worth paying extra through www.nsb.no for guaranteed tickets?

Thanks again :)

3. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 07:34
Edited: 20 April 2014, 07:34
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

https:/…

Myrdal Station does not have any ticket service, so if you don't buy the ticket in advance you will buy the ticket on board the train.

Klima, are you reading this? What would your advise be in this case?

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,325 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Since there is no booking/ no reserved seats there is no particular advantage in getting tickets in advance. Having an open ticket in your hand will give you no priority - you just get on the train, ticket or not makes no difference, show your ticket or pay the conductor when he/she comes around.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Thanks everyone, some great advice, I shall book the Oslo-Myrdal and Myrdal-Bergen on NSB and then purchase the the Flåm ticket onboard from the conductor.

Thanks again :)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Klima has been sick for a couple of days and now she is in Paris on holiday :))

Anyway, I would would just have bought a through ticket to Flåm for the sake of the convenience. Sometimes the Flåm Railway can be busy and in extreme cases in peak season there is standing room only, but hopefully not in June.

Personally I would have done the Norway in a Nutshell rather than backtracking through Myrdal.

Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Hi.. i'm planning to book Norway in the nutshell package, while in Bergen, do i have enough time to ride the Floibanen funnicular before my next train back to Oslo? The train will arrived at Bergen at 21.00hrs and will depart back to Oslo at 23.00hrs?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

@zahra6

Yes you may have if you hurry and the train is on time. Decide on site according to weather.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bergen and Flam Railway Ticket Question

Hi klimaflyktning : >> could u pls help >> i'll go from Oslo to Flam by train @ 12.01 get at Flam 18.10 by train stay 1 nite then get Fjord 13.20 to Gudvangen (15.30) then BERGEN!! the question is which way is better from Gudvangen to Bergen ???? Bus or Train? i looked in Norway in Nutshell they have only timetable not the one that i want in package but they say i can change it by remark :)... just make sure if i can book the ticket separately??? And the bus have E16 ? THANX