We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

We will be in Bergen on Sunday, August 17. We plan to either leave on Sunday or Monday. One option is to take the Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen all the way to Oslo on Monday, or take it on Sunday, stay overnight along the way and continue on to Oslo on Monday. Would the Monday trip be less crowded? Doing it all in one day seems to make a long day of it. Suggestions for one day trip on Sunday, one day trip on Monday, or start on Sunday and continue on to Oslo on Monday. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

Impossible to predict if Sunday will be more crowded than Monday. During the summer it is nice with a stop over along the way.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
23,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

See also this post

tripadvisor.com/…56995736

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

Monday 18th August is first day of school after summer holidays, so there may be more people travelling at the weekend than usual. Might be more comfortable to leave the long train journey until Monday. There are no cruise ships in Flåm on the 17th, but 2 with nearly 3400 passengers on the 18th. I'd split the journey to be in Flåm on the 17th and get the first Flåm train out the next morning otherwise you'll be battling with all those cruise passengers for a place on the train. If you don't want to get up early on Monday maybe consider doing the Flåm railway Sunday evening and staying at Vatnahalsen http://vatnahalsen.no - enjoy being in the mountains instead of watching through a train window?

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:16
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

Thanks. So if I overnight in Flam, I can catch an earlier train back to Oslo? The Norway in a nutshell looked like if I split the trip, I still would get back to Oslo at 22:45.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

Book minipris tickets at https://www.nsb.no/en/ Flåm-Oslo S (or from wherever you are staying at night). Can only be done 90 days in advance so not available yet (book early for the best prices). If same timetable as summer then Flåm 08:35 gets you to Oslo at 14:27. Buy tickets Bergen-Voss-Gudvangen-Flåm as you go unless the tourist office can sell you a pass for just this section.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

I really appreciate your help...so the only part I can book in advance is the Myrdal to Oslo? So far this is what we'd like to do: Bergen-Voss (8:44-9:58) train, Voss-Gudvangen (10:05-11:15) bus, Gudvangen-Flam (11:45-14:10) boat, stay overnight in Flam. The next day (Monday, August 18) Flam to Myrdal (8:35- ), and Myrdal to Oslo arriving at 14:27. The last section can be booked 90 days in advance, but how do I reserve the other segments? Once again, I really appreciate all the help here.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,589 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

You can only reserve place on the Gudvangen_Flåm ferry, but if there are no cruises in Flåm that day it will hardly be necessary. The 08:44 train to Voss is local and can't be reserved, just buy a ticket from the machine at the station (and don't forget to collect your Flåm-Oslo tickets at the same time). The bus can't be booked - pay the driver. Pay on the ferry.

Unless you are hauling luggage or have a sufficiently generous budget for the Fretheim hotel http://fretheimhotel.no/en/ then I would still recommend getting out of Flåm in the evening and staying at Vatnahalsen (walkable from Myrdal) - that'll give you a few hours in Flåm, enough time to discover it is a transport hub catering for thousands of cruise passengers and basically consisting of huge cafes and souvenir shops. Whereas at Vatnahalsen you can relax and perhaps meet some Norwegians.

Note that people have had problems booking NSB with US credit cards - better do a search on the Forum to find out how that can be done.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 16:36
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

We will have a suitcase each...any hotel recommendations in Vatnahalsen?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

Also...one last question, I hope :) The Flam to Myrdal is a separate ticket, right? Or can I book Minipris tickets Dlam to Oslo?

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday or Monday Bergen to Oslo

There is nothing at Vatnahalsen apart from the hotel. It's one stop before Myrdal on the Flam railway.

You can book a through ticket Flam to Oslo but the minipris fare will only apply on the main line section Myrdal to Oslo.